Lag and engine lurch when maintaining speed on level road - 2001 T&C AWD 3.8 -

Hello,

When I'm coasting along at any speed (usually over 30) on a level surface and give enough throttle just to keep my speed up the engine lags and lurches as if its running out of gas or getting some kind of vapor lock. The tac bounces up and down by 500 rpms. It's as if the engine is going to die. If I give it more gas it accelerates normally. If I just coast with no gas its fine. It's just when I give it just enough gas to keep my speed constant. I haven't taken it in yet and wondered if anyone on this forum might have an idea on what it could be.

Thanks, Luke

Reply to
Luke

I had this with my 1993 Voyager. A good cleaning of the throttle body took care of it. Also, a cheap quality AIS motor had been installed at sometime too, so they replaced it.

KM

Reply to
KirkM

Thanks KM

Reply to
Luke

While you're at it and cleaning the throttle body, you might want to disconnect the throttle position sensor connector and put an ohm meter across 2 of the contacts (you'll have to figure out which 2 contacts of the

3 to measure across-it will be obvious if you play around with it and watch the meter readings) and work the throttle from idle to partial throttle to see if the resistance changes smoothly or if it's erratic in certain spots. When they get bad they can send wrong throttle position info to the PCM (computer). A new TPS is very inexpensive - about $20 at Autozone. Just a thought.
Reply to
Steve N.