Lebaron Emissions, Coolant Leak & Head Gasket Problem?Fixes

The coolant reservoir of my 89 Lebaron 2.2 turbo with 127K miles was empty all the time. So I took it in to have the cooling sytem checked and it appears that I have a head gasket problem. Also the car won't pass the PA's emission test because the hydrocarbon output is 15, and 10 is the maximum.

I was therefore wondering if anyone has used any of those additives that claim they can stop small head gasket leaks and, if not, whether the gasket would be difficult for me to replace myself, as I did valve seals and the timing chain on my Mercedes this summer.

Thanks in advance for the help

Reply to
HARYSTAK

Yep. That engine, that mileage -- you're just about due for a head gasket.

Could be related to the head gasket leak, but could also be another cause.

This kind of gunk will NOT fix your problem, even temporarily. It will, however, create many more serious and more expensive problems. Fix the car correctly or don't, but using an additive like this is begging for additional trouble.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J Stern

Stay away from magic additives.

The head gasket on a 2.2 turbo is certainly doable. It's more work than valve seals or a timing belt (this engine uses a belt, not a chain); of course, never having worked on a Mercedes I can't speak to whether it's more work than doing those jobs on that car.

The main notes would be follow the FSM slavishly (right down to replacing the head bolts), and have the head machined since it will have warped. this is a very good time to replace the timing belt, water pump, and all accessory belts while you're in there.

Also, of course, it could turn out the head is cracked rather than the gasket is blown, but your machinist should be able to tell you this.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Thanks for the advice guys. As I'm considering doing the head gasket myself, I've looked at the Haynes Manual as well as the procedure at

But the latter makes the jobseem a lot easier than the former -- e.g., with respect to not havingto remove the power steering pump, timing belt and other things -- soI was wondering if that procedure was reliable. Also, since my car isa turbo, I was wondering if that would make the job even moredifficult.

Thanks again in advance.

Reply to
HARYSTAK

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, it was written:

Throw your Haynes manual in the trash. It will only cost you money and make you sad. These books are *full* of wrong information. The only acceptable manual is the factory book, which, whether purchased new or used, pays for itself in the first hour of ownership.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern