Left Transaxle Shaft Seal

I recently changed the passenger side transaxle shaft seal on my 97 Dodge Stratus (183,000 miles). That was easy and went fine. However, I still have a small leak from the driver's side shaft seal.

My first big mistake was not buying the shop manuals when the car was new. Now at 183,000 miles I can't justify the $100 for the manuals. I have a Haynes manual and since it is so bad, I am forced to ask the question here.

The Haynes manual provides instructions for changing the right side shaft seal, but states that the left side requires removing the differential bearing retainer and therefore should not be attempted at home.

Is this really something that is too difficult to do? I've done a lot of work on cars, including pulling and changing engines and transmissions. However, without any actual information on how to do this, I hesitate to just tear into this.

Has anybody accomplished this on their own? I would think it is doable, but not sure.

Thanks,

Doug

Reply to
Doug Samuel

Most likely someone will post a helpful response, but FYI, perhaps you can justify a $25 1-year subscription to the alldata info. on your Stratus:

There is much of the information taken 100% right out of the FSM with that subscription. I feel sure they would have that procedure including any instructions and diagrams/sketches.

Bill Putney

It's harder than the other side, but can be done with pulling the retainer.

Use a long screw into the seal, then use a pair of end cutting pliers to pop the seal out. An option is a hooked seal puller. Remove the seal. Find a piece of wood, round, similar in size to the seal - I got mine from those wood block toys from the kids toybox - hey, they owed me after all the tools they lost over years, ya know. Use the wood as a driver tool to seat the new seal, reassemble the rest. I've done it on several K cars and minivans over the years.

Reply to
bottomfeeder

Thanks Bill. I already subscribe to Alldata for both the Stratus and my wife's Concorde. However, but I cannot find anything about the output shaft seal. I am surprised since I always seem to find what I need there. I'll have to try some more.

Thanks again.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Samuel

Thanks for the info. Do you remember if the seal is the same as the right side? I would assume it is. I already have one of those on hand.

Thanks again.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Samuel

You're welcome. Yeah - the vehicle-specific information on AllData is not very well organized and can be very difficult to find (though sometimes you can stumble upon it with a little persistence - of course assuming it is there - which you don't know for sure until/unless you do find it). They need to fix that (but probably won't due to MBA studies showing that any resulting increase in sales won't offset the costs of doing so - customers are a bunch of crybabies anyway). 8^)

Bill Putney

Same seal. Dirt cheap at transmission wholesale shops ($2.00)

Go to a retailer and they want upwards to $15 for the same seal in the same box!

Reply to
bottomfeeder

Thanks. Fortunately, when I first bought the seal from the local parts store, I didn't think the guy really knew what he was doing. I paid $7 for it. So before starting the job I went to the Chrysler dealer and picked another one up for $6. Turns out they are identical, so I have the seal already. Didn't beat your price though :)

Doug

Reply to
Doug Samuel