LH / Intrepid A/C clutch cycle time

On my 1999 Intrepid ES, the air conditioner compressor cycles about every 15-20 seconds (making a slight hissing sound as the a/c clutch engages). Is this a normal cycle time? The factory service manual doesn't specify how often the a/c should cycle. To me, it seems a bit too frequent and will cause premature wear, but perhaps this is the design cycle frequency?

Reply to
Tim

The system is low on r-134. charge and leak test Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I have a 2004 300m and I was always wondering about a sound I hear when idling roughly every 15 seconds. It sounds like something engaging, a belt turning. The heater is running, but not the AC it's too cold here. Is this the same thing?

Reply to
Steve

A/C wwill engage if your heater is in defrost mode ( It runs to cycle moisture out of the car)

Reply to
David

Whenever the defogger is running, the A/C compressor will cycle. This is normal.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Could be, depending on ambient temperature conditions -- which at this time of year could be anywhere from "cold" to "hot".

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Cycle time depends on lots of things- outside air temperature, engine speed, interior fan speed, etc. 15-20 seconds is not unusual for a moderate outside temperature.

Reply to
Steve