LH Steering Problem

Since it has been 2 months since my last problem with my 96 Eagle Vision TSI, I should have known that I was due for a new one :-)

Today when I tried to steer to the left it was very hard. I had to put both hands on the steering wheel and almost drag it to make even a small left turn.

Yet I had no problem turning right (that at lease should make the Republicans happy!).

I got the car to a repair shop where I was told that the rack & pinion has broken down (I get a more detailed report tomorrow).

My question(s) as follows are:

1 In this "normal" for a 9 year old car with 62000 miles?

2: How much am I looking at to fix it?

3: Can I put it off (and yes I know the danger of not being able to go where one wants to) for a while? And if so am I looking at more damage (money spent) down the line?
Reply to
Zentraleinheit

Yes, mine failed in my '95 Eagle Vision at 60K miles.

I bought a rebuilt unit at Pep Boys for about $230 and had them install it for about $180. A new unit costs about $900.

If you delay, just don't drive the car. How much is your life worth?

Reply to
Bill D

Read this:

Bill D

Reply to
maxpower

The problem is the teflon valve seals in the rack and pinion steering gear have wallowed out the aluminum case. Replace the rack unit because it gets worse with cold weather and may suddenly not work when you come to a turn at any time.

Reply to
John_F

Steering rack. If you're handy, you can replace it yourself. They run about $200. Not a huge job, although inconvenient because of where the rack is located on FWD vehicles.

Steering racks seem to be notoriously problem-prone, which is one reason I prefer recirculating-ball steering over rack-and-pinion. But I can't think of any car sold that DOESN'T have R&P steering these days.

That said, my wife's 2003 LH car steering rack has lasted over 200k miles without a problem. But I know I'm a statistical outlier and not the norm on this one.

Reply to
Steve

Expect you meant to say it is a 1993, not 2003 ... either that OR you sure put on a lot of miles in just two years!

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I hadn't actually heard of this problem on Chryslers, but it was big GM problem in the 80's. They called it "morning sickness" because eventually it would work after you got down the road a block or two. Dangerous as all heck, it is.

Reply to
Joe

Oops. Yeah, its a 1993.... My brain must have a hydraulic leak.

Reply to
Steve