lifter noise 3.0 litre engine

I have a 2000 Dodge Caravan.....3.0 litre.....when I fist start it there is a noise from the engine that sounds like a lifter.It lasts for around a minute and then it goes away....If I shut the motor off after 20 seconds or so and restart the noise is gone.The question is how would I determine which lifter is noisy and it seems to be coming from the bank that is close to the firewall.??

Reply to
JED

Have you checked your oil level? If a lifter is bad, you can remove the valve cover(s) and find which one it is.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

if you ran the engine you would have oil all over the place and the rear bank you cannot get the cover off without removing the plenum????

Reply to
JED

Once you determine if it is from the front or rear head (by listening while the engine is running) you then remove the valve cover to the effected head. If its the rear head you have to take the cover off anyhow to replace the Tappet. Once you have the cover off all you need to do now is push down on the rocker arms one at a time until you find the one that is spongy.

Reply to
maxpower

My 1991 LeBaron 3.0V6 has had slight lifter noise when cold since day one. That has been 16 years and 99K miles. I heard that all 3.0V6 Mitusbshi engines had lifter noise; it was just a fact of the design/manufacturer.

BTW, be sure you are using 5W30 oil in this motor.

Good Luck, Bill

determine if it is from the front or rear head (by listening while

text -- Show quoted text -

Reply to
billccm

Use synthetic oil and it will help get oil up to the head for the valves sooner. My 1991 3000GT (130K miles) has done this for a long time. It eventually quiets down after a minute or so.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman