Looking for a mid-size domestic car recommendation

As far as I know Corning hasn't went out of business. And I have a pretty good reason for knowing!

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Typical nanny government mentality. McDonalds didn't burn anyone. The people that spilled hot coffee on themselves burned someone. Now if a McDonalds counter persone spilled coffee on you and burned you, then maybe you could rightfully claim that McDonalds burned you.

Except that asbestos was considered safe for many years. I assum the Corning reference is actually meant to be Dow Corning and, in that case, silicone implants have still not been indicated as unsafe in the MANY studies done since the initial suits were filed.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Even having such a concept as inherently dangerous (which implies that there are inherently safe goods), is inherently stupid. Then again, nobody ever accused our legal system of being inherently smart! :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Reply to
Bill Putney

You are correct, Corning recovered from Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

mike hunt

Matt Whit>

Reply to
MikeHunt2

Keep trying. Corning (GLW) has never been in Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Dow Corning has, but not Corning Incorporated, commonly known simply as Corning.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I was responding to your response to BT in which he (BT) said: "Transferring money from one person or group to another person or group does *not* spur the economy. True wealth can only be created by the sweat of one's brow, both personally and nation-wide. Paper shuffles do not do anything of benefit to the economy as a whole." and you replied, in part, that "Sure it can...Someone who just hoards their money under a mattress does nothing to increase wealth. So moving money from a place where it isn't working to a place where it can work, definitely benefits the economy as a whole." There are some people who would take that to mean, and who actually think about the economy in terms of, property damage actually creating wealth (they equate stimulating the economy with creating wealth) even though you may not have actually said that. In fact, in economics, this type of fallacious thinking has a name that is given to it - I forget it exactly, but, in the field of economics, it's commonly referred to as the "shop keeper's broken window" or the "jewelry store owner's broken window" (or some similar phrasing) mentallity, and is used to illustrate the fallacy of certain false principles.

Sorry if I insulted you by insinuating that you might think that way. I was just waving off others who might misinterpret what you were saying and falling into the common misconception which only seems to be the same as what you were saying but in fact is not. 8^)

Bill Putney

Touché. ;)

mike hunt

Matt Whit>

Reply to
MikeHunt2

Corning got pretty close though. Built too much fiber-optics capacity during the dot com boom. I believe they have a empty shell of a plant on the NC coast if they haven't unloaded it yet.

Reply to
Art

Somehow you got my meaning exactly backwards, I think. I'm not sure because there is something wrong with your first sentence. There seems to be a word missing between "rather" and "placing". Re-edit and sent it again and let's see if it will make sense.

Reply to
Bill Turner

Better yet, throw the head of McDonalds in jail for endangering the public. Now THAT would get their attention!

Reply to
Bill Turner

Why would I "not" say that? Talking to you is like shouting at a mirror, kind of. Stuff comes back to me, but different.

Reply to
Bill Turner

Typical airhead thinking. I suppose if McDonalds handed you a jar of nitroglycerine and said "have a nice day", it would be your fault what happened next? Different only in degree, not in kind.

I'm sure you'll laugh and think "what an idiot", but pause and think about the concept. The company is putting a product into the hands of the public which can cause moderate to serious injury, without a warning or caution of any kind. Lawsuit city, well deserved.

Reply to
Bill Turner

You're making things way too easy for your critics. If I indeed ordered a jar of nitrogylcerine without knowing how to handle it, that would be my fault not McD's.

You saved us the trouble.

If that's the case, then it should legally be required to take an IQ test before you are allowed to order a cup of hot coffee to go (back to the nanny state to protect - literally - idiots from themselves). But you'd think that if someone could own a license and drive a car to the drive thru that they would have the IQ necessary to know that hot things are, umm, hot, and that hot things will, umm, burn you if you spill them on you without you having to be told same.

Bill Putney

Umm, coffee is supposed to be, umm, hot, not umm, dangerous. It should not, umm, send you to the umm, hospital if you umm, spill some.

As umm, dumb as they were, McDonalds now umm, gets it. Why don't umm, you?

Reply to
Bill Turner

You are a convoluted piece of work, that is for sure. Your posts make you appear to be one who simply likes to be heard, without regard to the veracity of your statements.. We will concede that a McDonald's store most likely has one or more of the degreasers, or other chemicals available on the market, to use in cleaning but I doubt they have nitroglycerine on the premises that might be accidentally dispensed to a customer. Please keep posting, we in the NG's can benefit from a good laugh on occasion during a slow day LOL

mike hunt

Bill Turner wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

So you are you that guy that started litigation with McDonald's for being the cause of your obesity. LOL

mike hunt

Bill Turner wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

I know that there used to be a place downtown here where they had awnings over the sidewalk and they'd blow warm air down. I THINK it was the natural gas company or maybe the electric company.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

LOL, the worst part is I can see that happening too.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Why, the public chooses to go to McDs. They can choose to not go there. I'm reminded of the case where the 2 obese kids sued McDs for making them that way and the judge pretty much said they had a choice and they continued to eat there and that their lifestyle contributed to it.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid