Made in ...?

OK, this specific case concerns GM, but similar things may happen with Chrysler -- or is it now "Fiat-Chrysler"? Or maybe "Fizzler"?

Talked with an engineer whose company is shipping components to China to be incorporated in transmissions that are then supplied to GM for its vehicles, which are built in who-knows-where?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in news:i2k5l1$uro$1 @news.eternal-september.org:

Possibly China? Buick is big in China.

Reply to
CopperTop

Could be.

But my main point was that even sub-assemblies that are "made in China" (or some other foreign country) may still contain US components.

To take GM again as an example: the Pontiac G8 vehicles (which I understand were re-badged Holden Commodores from Australia -- "GM Holden" being the Australian GM subsidiary) may well have incorporated some components from the US.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in news:i2ngs0$3sd$1 @news.eternal-september.org:

No doubt. Many parts are made in the US as they are in other countries. For years the carpet and seat fabrics were made in North Carolina and shipped to Japan. I think now cars and most everything should say, "Assembled in . . ." rather than "Made in . . .".

Components and sections of both Boeing and Airbus aircraft are made all over the world. The fan casing alone on a GE-90 aircraft engine sees more of the world than I do with the many processes it requires. One engine consists of parts from all over the world so Assembled In is very appropriate.

Reply to
CopperTop

just like the window stickers in the ford exploders used to list the transmissions from France a few years ago

Reply to
rob

So vehicles and other items contain components,. labour and marketing costs from all over the world. What's the big deal?

DAS

To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'

Reply to
DAS