Master Brake Cylinder - '93 Plymouth Sundance

We have squishy brakes and noticed that the brake fluid flowed freely from one master cylinder reservoir to the other ( Ie: when you topped up one reservoir the level in the other one rose as well). When filling the new master cylinder to bench prime it we noticed the same thing happen but the manual says there are two separate reservoirs that have to be filled separately. There is no change in the brakes - did we get a dud new master cylinder or is there another explanation ? Cheers, Doug

Reply to
WrenofAln

Another explanation.

The book is wrong.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

The "reservoirs" are interconnected; the reason why the manual says to fill both is to eliminate air pockets.

EIther is possible, because your conclusion about needing a new master cylinder may have been incorrect if you based it only on the free flow of fluid within the single reservoir you thought was two reservoirs.

Squishy brakes? Could be air in the system, could be faulty calipers or wheel cylinders, could be a faulty booster, could be a faulty hydraulic control valve. Could be a defective original master cylinder replaced by a defective "new" one, especially if the "new" one was actually a remanufactured one.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J Stern

|On 12 Jul 2003, WrenofAln wrote: | |> We have squishy brakes and noticed that the brake fluid flowed freely |> from one master cylinder reservoir to the other ( Ie: when you topped up |> one reservoir the level in the other one rose as well). When filling the |> new master cylinder to bench prime it we noticed the same thing happen |> but the manual says there are two separate reservoirs that have to be |> filled separately. | |The "reservoirs" are interconnected; the reason why the manual says to |fill both is to eliminate air pockets. | |> There is no change in the brakes - did we get a dud new master cylinder |> or is there another explanation ? | |EIther is possible, because your conclusion about needing a new master |cylinder may have been incorrect if you based it only on the free flow of |fluid within the single reservoir you thought was two reservoirs. | |Squishy brakes? Could be air in the system, could be faulty calipers or |wheel cylinders, could be a faulty booster, could be a faulty hydraulic |control valve. Could be a defective original master cylinder replaced by a |defective "new" one, especially if the "new" one was actually a |remanufactured one.

Virtually all reman master cylinders available in the US are rebuilt by Cardone, and they make a good product. Last I looked our defect rate was lower for Cardone cylinders than for new ones in a very big name brand. I have a Cardone reman master cylinder on my road race car. Works fine, I can late-brake with the best of 'em..

Reply to
Rex B