Metric Ignorance?

Just changed the brake fluid in several cars, including my PT Cruiser and 04 Chrysler mini-van. Every vehicle required a metric wrench to loosen the caliper bleed screw until I got to the mini-van. Yep, good old SAE English wrench called for (even though the caliper bolts are metric).

My first small gripe with this vehicle was Chrysler's choice of odd metric bolt sizes that most wrench sets don't include; now this. Wonder if they send these parts over to Europe to drive those customers and service guys nuts as well?

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Same thing was happening back in the '80s, as well. Everything on my

318 is SAE, EXCEPT: Two bolts fastening the compressor to the front mount, AND the AIS pump mount bolts! So, a complete SAE wrench set does the engine, except you need a 10mm and a 15mm to do those...weird. Further weirdness is that the compressor hose fittings are held by metrics, while the rest of the system is SAE. It seems insane, but GM was far, far worse. Ford, to their credit, metricized fairly completely in the '80s.
Reply to
DeserTBoB