Mini-Van Brake Shake

I have an 04 Limited Town & Country with a 3.8. For brakes I have disks all around and the front is equipped with Brimbo non slotted and non drilled rotors and Akabono ceramic pads. They usually work to perfection.

But on a recent trip coming down from an elevated area, I needed to use the brakes to keep the vehicle down to about 60 mph. The vehicle would reach close to 80 mph if I did not use the brakes ever 30 sec or so to keep me legal. After several min of this use the front brakes started to shake the front end significantly. The brakes did not fade but they sure felt strange.

Once it cooled down after coming down the elevated area the brake shake went away. Anyone have a clue what is going on. Is this a case of too little brake for too much vehicle?

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Possibly the binders in the pads got gummy/sticky from the heat. I had a set of Akebono ceramics and had to get rid of them for an uneven filming/vibration issue.

Bill Putney

Reply to
philthy

Not at all the case with mine. My problem was the pads.

philthy wrote:

Reply to
Bill Putney

I have a 2002 Grand Caravan. I too have noticed that when coming down long hills that the more I use the brakes, I start to get shudder (although in my case is think it is coming from the back).

Notwitstanding where the shudder is coming from...

I have stock equipment - regular rotors and 4 wheel disc brakes with regular grade pads.

I have read before about the rotors with venting holes in them, but know nothing about them.

At some point in the next year I expect that I will need to replace at least 2 rotors.

SO.....

Who makes these vented rotors? Are tehy available in Canada?

Do they work well with regular pads?

How are they priced compared to regular rotors??

Anyone have experience with these??

:)

Reply to
NewMan