More problems with Bendix-10 ABS 1993 T&C

This message is added info to a posting of May 2003 regarding NTHSA recall # 685 on the Bendix-10 ABS.

The ABS problem with my 1993 T&C van relates to the Bendix-10 ABS system sold in the early 1990's. Apparently when they fail it becomes a real safety problem because you loose most braking power. That's why I think the NTHSA forced Chrysler to cover it for life.

The symptoms are:

1) Loud buzzing (when brakes applied) from the left front somewhere under the battery holder. This happens even if the ABS light doesn't come on right away. This may mean the pump is on its way out.

1a) In my case when the pump actually failed the buzzing stopped and the ABS light came on. I guess this means the ABS pump has died completely.

2) ABS light comes on, intermittently or solid. I've even had it come on for a few days then go away. When it really fails the ABS light comes on and stays on.

3) Brake like comes on. Usually this light comes on when the parking brake is on only. But the ABS failure also causes this light to go on.

4) The most obvious problem is the brake pedal becomes very HARD to press and you have to use excessive force to stop the van, I mean A LOT of pedal pressure. Don't follow anybody too closely. I had a hard time stopping the van.

I am not sure if the warranty covers the '94 Voyager. It's tough to figure out if you have a Bendix-10 system. I don't know of any obvious markings. I suggest you check with the dealer and give them the VIN. Remember that I was not notified about the recall from the factory. I had to ask. I guess that's what they call a 'secret recall'.

Ask them about recall # 685.

The dealer told me to bring mine in. They billed me $55 for a DRB-II scan but once they determined it was warranty I got that back and didn't pay anything. I've had mine replaced so often I am a regular at the dealer. They don't question my diagnosis any more. I tell them "ABS light on, pedal high and hard, cannot stop van" and they say "we know exactly what it is". The pump needs to develop very high pressure. The scan said that 800 psi was *too low* so normal must be really high. The pressure cannot drop more than 200 psi in 2 minutes. At these pressures the job is NOT one for an unqualified mechanic. Please be careful.

When the van was fixed the dealer replaced the pump/motor (part numberR4509292). The dealer said the parts were around $260 and the labor about $80. I have no way to know if I should believe that. The bill went to the factory (Chrysler). I did not see the invoice. Of course the first time I brought it in they also told me I needed a dual function pressure switch, not covered under warranty. I paid about $275 (complete) for that work but I was glad that the brakes were back in working order.

Back in May I posted a thread in netnews about this problem. Check out

's also a good article by an AOL member. Check out:
look for the part about Bendix-10 The bad news is that thearticle only talks about 1991-1993 and coverage is only to 100,000 -- but Chrysler told me the coverage is lifetime. I looked around the internet and found the NTHSA web site. Check out:

Gary Jablonski

94 Voyager uses Bendix 4 system, it's completely different.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt