Motor Mount Problem

I have been batting a front end knock for months now. I've replaced sway links and bushings, checked ball joints, etc. I even found worn rubber bushings on the brake caliper pins which I replaced but that wasn't the problem either. The other day I was driving slow in low gear when I noticed the clunk when I lightly tapped the pedal. Yes! Motor mount. Well, I took off the front mount and couldn't see any problem. Now my question. How can you diagnose the right engine mount and the left trans mounts? I've considered sitting in the motor compartment while my wife slowly drives in low and taps the pedal to create the clunk. I know, not the best idea. The right mount is also hydraulic. Does anyone have any knowledge of these and what they do when they fail?

Reply to
dprkk

Sorry, fogot to mention. It's a 2002 Caravan 3.3 FWD

Reply to
dprkk

Reply to
philthy

You can often successfully and more safely have one or two friends rock the vehicle back and forth with it in park (engine off) as gently or as violently as necessary to duplicate the problem while you watch the engine/tranny and mounts.

Bill Putney

Reply to
philthy

Thanks group for the info. I will give it a try. This really has been a hard one to diagnose.

Reply to
dprkk