Mounting a trailer hitch on a '98 Grand Caravan

Hello,

The dealer wants $800 to mount a trailer hitch on my Dad's '98 Grand Caravan. That's pretty steep so I figured if he bought the hitch I'd mount it for him. However, not having mounted a trailer hitch before I'm curious if it's just a bolt on deal on the Caravan? Has anyone in this ng mounted a trailer hitch on their minivan, how difficult was it?

Thanks,

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

Trailer hitches are designed for places like U-Haul who employ high school dropouts to install them, I'm sure you will have no problems figuring it out.

You can probably find a hitch from a wrecking yard for about $50 or buy one from a sporting goods store for a bit more than that. A wrecker will probably throw in the wiring harness too.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Bolts right up, mine is a reese which I bought at pep boys. If you find a used one, be careful about rust. A new one has instructions and new bolts with torque values. You can get the light harness adapter which makes the wring a simple snap of the connector. $800 sounds high - I thnk mine is a 1

1/4 receiver - good for a bike rack or towing a waverunner up to 3500# - cost about $100 + $40 for connector
Reply to
Mark

LOL.

Thanks, but my Dad wants a new hitch, and it's his car and he's the one paying for it so it's his call. :-)

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

I recently picked up a 1 inch hitch at U-Haul for about $150.00 and put in in myself in about 1 hour. I also picked up an OEM wire set from my Chrysler dealer which was very easy to put in and was not all that expensive.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

On 09/21/05 10:41 am Ulf tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

He could try U-Haul. The quote they gave us for supply and installation of a hitch on our 300M was less than $200, IIRC, but we didn't get it done yet. Reese does not seem to make one for the 300M, so I don't know who makes the one that U-Haul sells.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy