Need '95 Neon SOHC Main Seal Instructions

I am repairing my sister's 1995 Dodge Neon, SOHC Vin C engine with a leaking rear main seal. Car has 168,000 miles on the original seal so I consider myself lucky, the cylinder compression is perfect as well!!!

What I'd like to know is if there are any special considerations for this engine when installing a rear main seal.

Do I need any special tools for this one? I see the rear main seal is not in a carrier, but is pressed into the block. How do I properly remove, then install the seal?

The factory unit has teflon, I hear. How is that arranged, on the seal or where it mates to the block (both)? The NAPA replacement part does not appear to have any teflon, more of a standard brownish/orange polymer that I am familar with from the other engines I have worked on. Any thoughts or considerations on this?

Anything else to consider when removing the transmission, any tips or tricks to make it move along more quickly?

Thanks! :)

Reply to
meccoleman

There are special tools used to install this seal. Also keep in mind that this engine is prone to having head gasket failures and when this occurs the oil will run down the bellhousing and look like a bad rear main seal leak.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks for the rapid reply!

What tools are needed, just the normal oil seal puller and a press? Are these tools typically available through an auto parts store on loan, and are they unique to Dodge products or will a universal setup work?

I'll check the headgasket. I've been reading about that, but two mechanics (one at a dealership) had told my sister that the rear main seal was the issue.

Sorry for the rudimentary questions. I'm going to be performing this installation at a friends garage and it needs to go smoothly.

Better yet - anyone know of any write-ups on the web?

Reply to
meccoleman

We use a cone/guide to install it. wouldnt know if the tool is available thru auto parts/rental.

Reply to
maxpower

Could you help me find some factory bolt torque values for the Neon? Couldn't find a table or info anywhere.

I need to know torque values for...

1.) CV Axle nut 2.) Transmission bellhousing to engine block 3.) Torque converter to flexplate 4.) Flexplate to crankshaft 5.) Wheel/tire to hub

And maybe if there are any other critical ones I forgot. Thanks!

Reply to
meccoleman

135ft lbs

105 in lbs

50 ft lbs

70ft lbs

Are you serious here?........100ft lbs all 5!!!

Reply to
maxpower

I assumed it would be different that the recommended 85ft-lbs for my other car. I'm glad I asked ;-)

Thanks for the help!!!

Reply to
meccoleman

I'm feeling fairly silly, can't get the CV axles to disengage from the transaxle.

Is there actually hardware holding them into place? I'm used to seeing a retention clip on the end of the spline shaft that enters the differential on the transaxle and I only need to pull enough to pop them loose. I know some of the aftermarket C-clips from replacement axles can be hopelessly hard to remove. Pictures I've found of the parts also don't show hardware holding them in but it looks like the familar retention C-clip.

Is there a trick to removing the CV axles on this automatic transmission '95 Neon?

Reply to
meccoleman