Need info on plants to be sold by DC

Chrysler can bring concept cars to market faster than Merc. The logic being that Daimler can transplant that ability into Merc. Step 1 of that process is to throw in the toilet all current Chrysler concepts. Step 2 is - what? Where is the evidence that Chrysler's concept-to-market knowhow is being used by Merc? (other than to re-design Chrysler vehicles so that they use more Merc parts?)

Lutz was in his late 60's when he left (67 I think). He was hired by GM in 2001 and was going to "shake up the place". Anyone seen any shaking at GM lately? No matter how good Lutz was as at product development, if you don't have good design people in the trenches turning out ideas then you don't have squat. Besides, he was Vice-chairman when he left. That's a long way from product manager/designer.

If there's an on-line reference, please quote the article.

If they don't require a subscription, and I'm sufficiently motivated, sure. I'm usually too busy reading other (non-automotive) industry publications.

You'd be wrong. Ok, maybe once every few years when I'm in the market for a dishwasher or fridge.

Only when they review radar detectors.

Like your industry publications? Is that why you read them?

Reply to
MoPar Man

Um, DS said that Damlier now _can't_ transplant this faster to market ability to Merc because all the talent jumped ship. So why would there be evidence that the concept-to-market knowhow is being used by Merc? They don't have it anymore and lost it after the merger.

Also don't forget the US economy went into a depression shortly after the takeover, and a great many things started to change. The process was hastened by 9-11 and GM's subsequent kickoff of a price war on 0% interest. Neither of these things were known in advance (although many people were expecting the stock market to crash, just not that quickly)

While I, like Daniel, believe that Damlier wanted more than a simple market share increase by buying Chrysler it seems quite obvious today that Damlier has abandonded all hope of getting anything more out of Chrysler OTHER THAN market share. Clearly they have written off Chrysler's engineering and design team and expect them to only integrate Merc parts into the Chrysler model line. In another 10 years if Damlier doesen't let Chrysler go, the typical Chrysler/Dodge vehicle will be indistinguishable from the Mercedes vehicle under the hood, the only external difference will be styling changes. Merc will be positioned to the high-end market, Dodge will be everybody else, and Chrysler will be sandwiched in the middle somewhere. This is the model that GM is using with the Buick/Chevrolet/Olds lines.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

If Daimler *really* had planned on taking advantage of Chrysler's concept-to-market ability and applying it to the Merc line, then they would have either anticipated (1) performing a substantial amount of Merc vehicle concept work in Detroit or (2) transplanting the Chrysler "dream team" to Stuttgart. Who really believes that either of those options were viable (now, or back in 1998) ?

I think there is way more evidence that Daimler, since day 1 of the "merger", wanted Chrysler's design team to scrap all current concepts and begin immediately to redesign Chrysler vehicles to integrate Merc parts. You might say that this is how Merc "took advantage" of Chrysler's concept-to-market ability, but not in a satisfying way for Chrysler's designers.

Reply to
MoPar Man

300C...closest thing to it..
The Magnum Hemi isnt bad either..

Still looking for the article that I found not long ago that talked about it....the design team that is..

Reply to
CBhvac

In name only. It's a rolling abomination. I don't care what it has under the hood. If it looks like a boxy Bentley (and weighs as much, and if it's got an SUV as a brother) then it ain't no sports-luxury sedan. The interior design is plain crap. It has a front and side profile that only a feeble senior citizen would love.

A waste of a power plant. The 300C is an SUV that's trying real hard to be a sedan. If I wanted something like that, I'd buy a Ram with the hemi.

3 stories about Lutz moving to GM. None of which hint at all about any discontent at Chrysler over design issues, internal politics, staff leaving, etc. Again, who is bold enough at Chrysler to give an interview about design-team morale, about the politics between Chrysler and Daimer, about where chrysler's designs are heading and who's doing the driving.
Reply to
MoPar Man

Well, ehm, you've read how the Germans judge the build quality of the M-Klasse?

Johan

Reply to
Johan Thole