Neon lights will not turn off

I removed the battery from my 95 Neon for the long weekend as I was going out of town. I re-installed the battery last night, started the car, everything worked fine. Now this morning, I was driving into work, and the high beam indicator light was on. I did not have the headlights on, as the sun was starting to come up. When I got to work, shut off the car, and removed the key, the headlights where on very dimely. I tried turning the lights off and on, high beeps off and on, everything. I removed the 2 fuses for headlights, and they stayed on. I ended up removing the large fuse from the relay box under the hood. This turned off the lights. Before I pulled the main fuse, I checked the tail lights and they where not on. Anyone have any ideas? I really need to figure this one out. I can't be playing under the hood of the car every day in a suit.

Mike mlawrenc(at)rcc.on.ca

Reply to
Mike

DRL module?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Your Daytime Running Light module has failed. It is a common failure on all the Chrysler products that use this particular reduced-voltage-high-beam DRL module. You can either go to the dealer and get a replacement (which will also eventually fail) or you can simply unplug the defective module and get a module from

which will run the front turn signals as DRLs just like on the '00-'04 Neons. If you do the latter, stop by your local Saturn dealership and pick up a set of front park/turn/DRL bulbs for an '04 Saturn Ion; they will be marked 5702KA and will last a great deal longer than any other bulb you can use in turn/DRL service.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Is it possible to repair this unit, or is it completely sealed? (I am a Computer/Electronic engineer.) I have also noticed that the module can be located under the ash tray or the left wheel well, any ideas where where it may be on the 95 2 door neon? I really don't want to have to pull the console out to find out it is in the wheel well. I would really rather not have to replace the unit, as this car is begining to cost me too much. And I would hate to scrap the car because the cost of the wheel bearings (which are going to be changed) and this module.

Mike mlawrenc(at)rcc.on.ca

Reply to
Mike

Failure is frequently due to cold solder joints, but even the most skilled of solderors tend to have trouble making the repair "stay fixed".

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern