New Chrysler Imperial ?!

Check the latest Motor Trend for their cover story on the Challenger and Imperial concept cars.

MT refers to the new Imperial concept as a $50,000 Phantom. The Imperial is on a stretched 300C chassis, with a 123-inch wheelbase and a suspension tuned for quiet, cushy refinement despite 22" wheels. With a length of 214 inches and a height that's 6 inches taller than a 300C, there's plenty of room all 'round.

The nose, with its four distinct round headlights and billet grille, is reminiscent of the older Bentley Turbo R, while the profile and tail are reminiscent of the Phantom. The roof is fixed glass over the front seats, and opening the suicide doors reveals there's no B-pillar.

It wouldn't cost Chrysler much to put this car into production. A proper B-pillar and normal door openings and more reasonable sized wheels would make this a nice new flagship....

Reply to
Marc

If you thought the Pimp-mobile_300 couldn't get any more pompous or garrish, wait till you see the Imperial.

Monty Burns - Chrysler has a car for you.

----------------

Also at the entry level as far as price goes is the new Dodge Caliber, which follows a theme set by products like the Toyota Matrix, Mazda5 and even Mercedes-Benz B-Class. If any proof was needed that hatchbacks are truly back in fashion, this is it. Incidentally, the Caliber is replacing the old Neon, which sort of faded away in recent years, rather than being suddenly axed

There will be no shortage of new concept cars in Detroit and L.A. DaimlerChrysler will unveil a retro-inspired Dodge Challenger coupe in Detroit. The long-expected two-door will take on the Ford Mustang directly with a chassis derived from Chrysler's 300C/Magnum twins, along with a 425-hp version of the HEMI V8 in the most thrilling versions. Chrysler is saying the car is a concept only, but insiders suggest the vehicle will be in production as early as 2009 on a new version of the 300C platform.

Chrysler Imperial Concept

Rumour has it that another blast from the past may emerge at Detroit in the shape of a Chrysler Imperial concept to be shown off. Apparently spun off from the Chrysler 300C body, the stretched-wheelbase Imperial concept is said to evoke a Rolls Royce Phantom in its styling direction.

Chrysler's surprise entry at the show is this high-luxe sedan concept that revives a much-abused nameplate from the automaker's past. Built on a stretched Chrysler 300 platform, the Imperial is, of course, Hemi V-8 powered and rear-wheel drive. But the chassis tuning prioritizes ride comfort over handling. Not only is the Imperial considerably longer than the 300, but it's substantially taller as well, for a more upright seating package and greater interior space. The suicide doors and the shape of the side window opening are both a rather blatant ripoff of the Rolls-Royce Phantom. More than a mere flight of fancy, we expect that if the Imperial doesn't elicit too much giggling, Chrysler will add a full-luxury range topper like this to its lineup. Priced in the low $40,000 range, it would go up against the Cadillac DTS and Lincoln Town Car--and to try and extend the brand's celebrity cred beyond the 300C.

While Chrysler has already confirmed that it will have a Dodge Challenger concept for Detroit, the company's been considerably more tight-lipped about another concept that could be on display at Cobo Hall. An anonymous tip to TCC says a Chrysler Imperial concept will be shown off in Detroit, reviving the nameplate for the most luxurious Chrysler vehicles that died away in the 1990s. Drawn off the 300C body, the stretched-wheelbase Imperial concept is said to evolve the

300C in a Rolls Phantom direction-much as the current 300C has been dubbed the "baby Bentley."

2007 Chrysler Aspen

Evidently jealous of the success of the Buick Terraza and the Mercury Mountaineer, Chrysler has created its own badge-engineered entry into the stagnant big SUV market. The division has plucked a nameplate from what it must hope is a forgotten 1970s compact and slapped it onto a chrome-dipped Dodge Durango to give Chrysler dealers an SUV to sell. (Although we thought they were supposed to sell Jeeps, since so many Chrysler and Jeep stores are paired.) Expect the Aspen to get the Durango's two V-8s, a 235-hp 4.7 liter and a 335-hp 5.7 liter. It goes on sale this fall.

Reply to
MoPar Man

Agreed Monty! The side view is a blatant copy of the RR. The rear view just doesn't match the car and not attractive at all. But the front end...OMG...what a POS! Looks like one of those cars that the Chinese tried to copy and miserably failed. I certainly hope these pictures are very rough drafts. Still can't believe they would release pictures like this. Truly one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen. Definitely the car for pimps and wanna-be pimps. Lincoln nor Cadillac need not worry about this car cutting in on their sales.

===========================

CopperTop

For that amount of money I'd like to see an electronic suspension, I don't like to hear the words cushy and suspension in the same sentence.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

Garish: (1) Marked by strident color or excessive ornamentation; gaudy. (2) Loud and flashy

Where on the Imperial concept is there anything garish? The concept was brown with no chrome anywhere and just a billet grille. Can't get less flashy than that.

Anyway, I hope they'll make some adjustments to the shape. The 300C is remeniscent of Bentleys and I think creating almost a direct copy of the Bentley Turbo's nose is just unwise. Why not just refine the 300C nose in some fashion? I still haven't seen a pic of the rear of the car, just the front and profile views, so it's hard to judge the rear, but they should really stick to a refinement of the 300C tail. They've got good stylists, why copy anything?

Maybe they just threw it together quickly to gauge interest in an Imperial.

In a production model, the B-pillar would surely return and the suicide doors would surely vanish. I can just see the lawsuits lining up owners and passengers who got hurt and want rake in the dough.

Marc

Whups there's a chrome strip bordering the windows, my bad. Garish like crazy! :D

Marc

What's wrong with clamshell opening doors? They certainly easier to get into and out of! I get into my 1940 Chrysler 4 door very easily. Seriously, trucks and other vehicles are going to center opening doors again, I think they should have stayed with them ( after bumping my head too many times on the sharp edges of modern four door cars )

Reply to
Count Floyd

I can see from the picture an aspect of body design that is sub standard. The rear door edge forms the front of the rear wheel well.

It seems that this aspect of body design has come from GM. It was on the Sybring and Ford also uses it. Cheaper construction is the only I can see for this. Ford at least protects the door seal with a plastic moulding.

Reply to
Spam Hater