New front rotors for 300m

Bought a new set of front rotors (Canada Tire) for my 2000 300m. Had

2 choices - standard quality and "premium" quality. Difference seems that one is made in China, the other in the US of A. Since the standard quality ($60 each) was out of stock, I bought the premiums ($75 each, or $62 USD).

The box (white) was pretty much devoid of any branding, other than a Monroe decal ( - used under license from Tenneco Automotive). There were a bunch of numbers on the box.

Internet searches for BD125638 comes back as a Wagner PN from several sources. Bar Code 008536425717 comes back as Cooper Industries, which has a Wagner brake division (previously known as Federal-Mogul ?)

Not sure why these Wagner rotors need to have a Monroe label on them (what's the connection?)

The rotors themselves have the following castings:

Century Made in U.S.A.

637090 MINTHK 24.4 mm

My original rotors were turned Apr 2004 and over the past few months I was getting too much pulsing during braking. They were down to 0.973 inches (and weighed 14.5 lbs each). The new ones are 1.027 inches (26.1 mm) and weigh 17.7 lbs each. Some say the thickness of the originals (when new) are supposed to be 1.019 inches (but I think they were at least 1.020 and probably closer to 1.025.

I estimate that rotor wear is something like 0.4 to 0.6 thou per 1000 miles.

In reading some of the brake stuff that has come up doing these searches, it occured to me that I should have take a wire wheel to the hub and made sure it was perfectly clean before mounting the rotors. Oh well, I guess I'll be doing that when the snows go on.

Reply to
MoPar Man

The quality Brimbo rotors I purchased for my PT Cruiser were made in Canada.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Don't even try to figure out the aftermarket world with all it's legal and marketing cooperative agreements and third party manufacturing/labeling contracts. We had a similar discussion of this nuttiness a couple of days ago (see thread titled "Moog Sway Bar Links").

As you can see on this Federal Mogul home page, they own Wagner:

This may help too:
down and read under the "Troubles Surface" heading for the FM - Cooper connection.

Doesn't matter what "some say". :) My '99 LH car FSM says that a new rotor thckness is 1.019 to 1.029 - so your part was within the designated OEM tolerances.

Not a bad idea to do that to make sure there's not some rust that may tilt rotor and wheel and cause vibration (if no vibration, then no need to brush it - but good prevention practice for any future work you do).

Bill Putney

When you read that, it becomes clear why manufacturing and material processing is increasingly being done overseas (China, Mexico, etc).

Reply to
MoPar Man

Yikes (re: asbestos racket that has decimated Federal Mogul). The Wall Street Journal has had many editorials on how the asbestos racket is destroying responsible companies (read employers and American Jobs), but that article in the Detroit News really hits home. A few lawyers and their class action lawsuits are destroying entire industries by getting $$ millions and $$ millions of tort money due to alleged practices decades ago, and this is from people who aren't even sick and there is no reason to believe that they will ever get sick. Jackpot justice doesn't even describe this as the "injured" aren't injured at all. Eventually even the lawyers will lose when the golden goose dies as all of the companies they can sue throw in the towel, forever.

Reply to
Greg Houston

The previous CEO had to be a moron to buy into asbestos litigation.

Reply to
Art

wrong, they are destroying entire companies.

Correct, that is why so many companies flee to bankruptcy court when things go awry. And not just companies, the Catholic Church is doing this in the face of all the priest sex abuse claims.

But it is rediculous to feel sorry for F.M. They are going to end up far stronger post-bankruptcy. The company will do fine. It's the investors that get screwed. And this is a perfect example of why many companies don't permit employees to put all their 401K into a single companies stock and only give them options of different plans. Investment 101 says to diversify your investments precisely to avoid the kinds of sob stories you read about here.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

The company's board could/should have been sued for failure to do proper due diligence. I guess you guys would not want to see another lawsuit though.

Reply to
Art

Post Enron, a lot of corporate Boards suddenly woke up to the fact that they are supposed to be overseeing the exec staff.

I never have had a problem with lawsuits against corporate managers. The Asbestos lawsuits are not like that, however, they are against the corporation, not against the clods that steered the corporation into the mud. Big difference, that.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Management conduct in this case seems to be inexcusable. Even if they wanted to buy another company, they could have operated it as a separate subsidiary and the parent would have been untouchable financially.

Reply to
Art

Or another thing that companies often do is buy a company, operate it as a subsidiary, then start making all the purchased companies products themselves, setup joint marketing ventures and start dropping items from the subsidiaries product line and weaning the customers from the subsidiary to the parent.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt