new radiator but no heat

I installed a new radiator in my 99 chrysler concorde with at 3.2 litre engine. Everything is working fine but I noticed that I'm not getting heat from the system. I sometimes notice that the floor on the dirver side of the car is wet. Any suggestions will be appriciated.

Thanks, Drew

Reply to
andrew.wilson2000

Did you have heat before you changed the radiator?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Yes, I forgot to mention that I had the water pump changed also. I had heat during last winter, but being that the weather is warm I did not have to use the heater. As far as I know the heat was working at the time the changes were made.

Reply to
andrew.wilson2000

The simplest possible cause for this no heat condition is trapped air in the cooling system. Make sure all the air is out by filling with 50/50 mix and using the bleeder valve to release the air. If the coolant is filled to the proper level and there is no trapped air, then check./feel the inlet and outlet hoses going to the heater core near the firewall while you have the system set to call for full heat and the engine is hot and running. If you find the inlet hose is hot and the outlet hose is much cooler, then you could have blockage in the heater core. If the hoses are roughly the same temperature, then verify that your thermostat is the correct temperature (should be 195 degrees F I believe, but check the FSM) and that it was oriented/installed correctly. If all this checks out and both hoses to/from the heater core are hot, then make sure the air flow door and blower inside the vehicle (under the dash) is operating correctly.

Good Luck!

Bob

Yes, I forgot to mention that I had the water pump changed also. I had heat during last winter, but being that the weather is warm I did not have to use the heater. As far as I know the heat was working at the time the changes were made.

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Based on your statement that you're getting water on the drivers side floor, my guess is that the condensate isn't draining from the HVAC module when the air conditioning is running, the excess water has found its way into the blend door servo and caused it to rust tight.

If you dial in different temperatures on the HVAC control head, do you hear any change in the way the HVAC fan sounds?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I agree - probably trapped air.

Hey Bob - which is the correct way to orient the thermostat on this engine (careful - it's a trick question on two different levels).

Bill Putney

Bill,

The answer is to orient it the same way that the OEM part was installed when you take it out. This is true of every thermostat ... whether you have the FSM or not! The key is always to note the orientation before removing it and comparing it to the new replacement part.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Actually not in this case. The factory uses a "special" thermostat, and they put the sensor/spring end away from the engine. The replacement t-stats are different, and they go in the opposite way (sensor/spring towards the engine - and that in fact is the way the FSM shows it.

You may already know this, but on the LH cars, the thermostat is on the coolant *inlet* side of the engine (downstream side of the lower radiator hose). But in any case, the cars come from the factory one way, and the FSM for every year shows it the opposite way. Weird, eh? In reality, I suspect it won't matter a lot - the warm up cycle may be affected (slight delay or overshoot), but once the t-stat opens, it should pretty much operate the same.

Reply to
Bill Putney

Bill,

Thanks for the tutorial. My old 3.5L (1996 Eagle Vision TSI) which went to my oldest son was a whole lot easier and had the T-Stat right in the housing so only required 2 bolts be removed to access it. My other son now has the old 2001 2.7L (Intrepid SE) which most likely has the design you describe. I guess I will be doing that replacement in the not too distant future so your description will come in handy. BTW, this design with the large spring and special thermostat in the lower hose sounds very much like the 170 degree F thermostat used in my old 3.0L (1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Yes - it's a real PITA to change the thermostat in these engines - very cramped spaces, just behind the alternator (access from underneath).

Reply to
Bill Putney

Thank you all for the tips. I'll be looking at this problem over the weekend and will let you all know what was the results.

Reply to
andrew.wilson2000

,

Ok, It took me some time to post my findings, but I did have this problem resolved. As it turns out, I had a bad blender motor. This is the motor that is located below the console on the floor of the car. (hard to get to). It switches the hot and cold air when the a/c or heat is turned on. I changed it and am now happy.

Reply to
andrew.wilson2000