new strange engine behavior

I have a 92 plymouth voyager with the 3.3 engine, 134k miles. It's recently developed a new problem. When pulling out of our neighborhood, it sort of sputters and doesn't want to go. Usually, we pull over and put the car in park. I gun the engine a little. When the rpm is low, it sputters, but when it fights to get over, say,

1000rpm, it sounds good again. After dropping back down to idle, it idles fine, it sputters again after a little gas, then as the needle climbs, it's better above 1000rpm. After warming up, the problem goes away (quickly). Any ideas?

brian

Reply to
brian lanning

Not sure if it could be the same on a 3.3, but my 3.0 had similar issue once and turned out to be a coolant temperature sensor. Replaced for about 10 bucks and problem went away. I Found this by pulling the codes using the key method which indicated 'engine too cold'.

Reply to
PC Medic

Reply to
jdoe

I'll give it a shot. There's no check engine light when this is happening though, so i think there's no code.

brian

Reply to
brian lanning

Although there CEL does not illuminate, good change a "pending" code may be set, meaning something is still barely within specs, or temporarily goes out of spec but not long enough for the system to consider it a true problem, yet.

D> I'll give it a shot. There's no check engine light when this is

Reply to
Mike Behnke

I had the same problem. Turned out to be bad contact at a sensor connector. Just disconnect and reconnect a few times and the problem should go away. I don't know which one was faulty because I did it to all of them. Good luck and I hope your headlight doors always open. Mine didn't.

Reply to
Al