No power loss light on 1987 caravan 2.5

Without any preceding symptoms, it died. It will not start. But, I noticed the power loss light will not come on. Does anyone have any idea as to where the break in power to ignition system could be? There is no spark, and I have tried another distributor, just to eliminate that common problem. On other ones that the pickup plate died on, there was no effect to the power loss light, and yes, the bulb is good.

Reply to
dmitchell

Sounds like no power to the SMEC (engine control computer). Check your fusible links (in the wiring harness upstream of the SMEC), check the 60- and 14-pin connectors for corrosion, and if all of that checks out, find and fix the faulty power and/or ground wire(s) to the SMEC.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

You likely have two problems: Not running & corroded eyelets in the cluster PCB.

My 87 is very intermittent, CE can quit, low fuel can flash opposite of the 4 way flashers, tach can quit or peg. I need to remove my cluster and resolder things, replace lamps, grease cable, etc.

When you don't have spark, does your fuel pump run? Do you get the pump's grunt when you turn on the ignition? (assuming it's been a while since you last tried) If you never have spark or pump action, check the fuse links. If yours (mid year change) has separate logic and power modules your ASD relay is inside the power module. If yours has the SBEC, the ASD relay is on the inner fender. Does your tach show some speed while cranking (if you have one)?

Reply to
clemslay

Coil or connections? Hall pickup or connections? Ignition computer (less likely).

Reply to
Dave Gower

I have no fuel pump running, no spark, and no power loss light. I think it's a break in the power lead somewhere, but don't know where most likely spot is. I'm gonna try to check out the pink fuseable link at the ecm, but if that is intact, I don't know where to look next.

Reply to
dmitchell

I would like to thank all who responded to my problem. I got a complete wiring schematic from my son's high school. With that, I was able to trace the power leads and I found them all to be ok, so I checked the grounds and found a bad ground wire connection. I am most appreciative for all your concern and input.

Reply to
dmitchell