No vacuum to heater core valve - 1991 GC

I have a problem with luke warm air coming from my heater. I just recently found that I don't have vacuum at the heater core control valve, so the valve is always closed (no water circulating in the core). I manually opened the valve and now have heat. The vacuum line is coming from the firewall. I assume I have a vacuum leak under the dash somewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions where to start troubleshooting and what to take apart under the dash? Thanks.

Ken

Reply to
dprkk

The only time vacuum is applied to that valve is when the HVAC controls are set to MAX air. IOWs, lack of vacuum is not the cause of your no heat condition.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Makes no sense, as Aarcuda said, you arent supposed to have vacuum there!! If you had to manually open the valve and got heat I would assume the valve is bad and not allowing it to open when the vacuum was off if you got heat after you manually opened it. The most common problem with lack of heat on that vehicle is a stuck open thermostat or a stuck blend air door. Google on how to check fault codes by cycling the key and looking at the check engine lite. If there is no code you may want to make sure that the cable is not sliding in the control assembly as you move it from hot to cold.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

Are you saying that this valve is always partially opened and that vacuum is applied to open it "all the way" whenever the max blower speed is selected?

Reply to
dprkk

Hello,

I had a similar setup on my 1987 Dodge 600SE years ago. The valve on that car was NORMALLY OPEN, and the vaccuum would be applied only when the controls are in RECIRC (i.e. MAX cool) to shut off the flow of hot water to the heater.

Thus, I suspect that the problem is with the valve itself in that it does not returen to it's normal position (probably rusted, etc).

Hope it helps,

Alex

Reply to
april1st

Thanks Glenn and Aarcuda. Do either of you have any suggestions for checking the blend air door under the dash. What do you take apart to get at this? Thanks.

Reply to
dprkk

You have to remove the control head from the dash leaving cable connected and slide the control. If the outside cable housing is moving instead of the steel wire in the housing you can bet the door is seized up

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower