Noise from brakes

I have a 04 pt cruizer and when I apply the brakes it sounds as if it is metal to metal (grinding). I took it to my local dealer to have it checked out. They said that is normal (that they rust over night). But they still do it in the middle of the day . What shoulld i do ???

Reply to
T- Boy

they rust overnight?

i've driven vehicles that have spent 20 years int he wettest places imaginable (scotland) fording all the time, and they've never 'rusted overnight'

Think they're taking the piss. Never heard 'they rust overnight' before. Mtals oxidise all the timRust is iron oxidising. They don't only do it during the day, or on the 3rd full moon in april, or any other specific time. Now, if your discs are rusting, you got serious problems, and it certainly is NOt normal.

Metal on Metal is generally the rivits ont he pads hitting the discs/drums. heck, just take a look at the pads yourself. its not hardtake the wheel off and on many vehicles, its just one or two bolts to get the caliper off, and thus the pads.Of course, given what you've written, i would take it to someone you trust since you're probably going to struggle with what to do, getting them on and off.

Reply to
flobert

What model (does it have rear disks or drums, turbo or not)? Does the grinding go away after a couple of stops? Is it grinding in the front only?

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Well you're about to hear it again. The discs on my Intrepid will rust overnight during certain times of the year. They've all been like that I have had 5 Intrepids). Back down the driveway in the morning with light pressure on the brakes, and it sounds like the pads are scraping on sandpaper. It's gone within the first 2 or 3 stops.

Phil

Reply to
Phil T

Due to the material that the linnings are made out of you will get some grinding noise especially on cool wet or dewy mornings. The rotors WILL DEVELOPE RUST and untill you hit the brake pedal a few times to remove the rust this noise will be heard.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

Do you live in Bikini Bottom? Thought about looking into some alternatives, like MMC?

Reply to
flobert

Say what ?

Reply to
Phil T

Same on my '95 Concord and the '86 LeBarron GTS before it.

However if it doesn't go away I'd look at the condition of the pads and rotor. A few months ago I had a front wheel scrapping noise when braking that wasn't the pads or rotor. The front wheel bearings were worn out. The BIG bill for bearings fixed it. About 80K miles, much better than the

20K miles my wife got on her 2001 front wheel bearings.
Reply to
Spam Hater

Its a kind of brake technology used in, amongst other things, early lotus elises. They sue an aluminimum disc, discs actually get thicker as the pads wear, the pads building up an interface coating on the disc which is what provides the friction.

no iron, so no rust.

Reply to
flobert