Nomen nescio

I am new to the group(1 week) so I need to ask the question who is this troll and how long has he been posting to this newsgroup? Also why does he almost never reply to his own posts when others ask him a question. My response to his latest troll post would be auto trannies pull at all times when in gear to help keep your car from rolling if you are on a hill during the time between you release the brake and apply the gas. If you have a problem with it doing that simply do what I do: shift to neutral or park when you are sitting still.

BTW if I ever start to do anything trollish please let me know because I do not want to offend anyone.

Reply to
Daniel Armstrong

Kenneth Wayne Mitchell is who he is. Here's some more info about him. Apparently he got tired of bothering Masons and now fancies himself a car mechanic.

Actually he does reply. I've got a number of replies from him in the group over the years. But he never replies to a question. The only time he replies is if someone carefully takes apart his suppositions and shows point blank that he's factually wrong.

If you read his posts carefully you will discover that just about all of the posting he does nowadays is completely opinionated, on preference type stuff. This is deliberate, he has learned over the years to stay away from topics that can be factually proven one way or another.

For example, he dislikes timing belts and every once in a while rails against them. Now, there is no factual basis to say that a timing belt is better than a timing chain or vis-versa. We all know that the automakers use timing belts to save money. And we all know that timing chains can and do wear out and slip teeth on occasion. So, this topic is one of those you can argue over forever and neither side is ever really "right" Thus it is prime troll material for Kenneth.

By contrast, take insurance info. That is different - you can call a state insurance division and get specific answers to a question. Thus, there is "right" advice and "wrong" advice. Kenneth has on occasion ventured into this territory, posting material that is easily provable to be factually wrong. Thus, he avoids these kinds of topics.

You would be wrong, I am afraid. Auto trannies pull because it is cheaper to design a transmission to not try to shift into Neutral when you have stopped in traffic, then shift back into first gear when you start going, because there's fewer parts to just design it so that when it's in Drive it shifts into first and just stays there at idle.

The fact that if your idle is high enough that the car will roll forward is simply a side-effect of the design. It isn't done to help you on hills it is just there because it's an unavoidable side effect.

It is like pointing out that the front winshield's field of view is restricted where it is blocked by the rear-view mirror hanging down, and we should therefore get rid of rear view mirrors and put rear-facing TV cameras and screens in the dashboard or some such silliness - an idea that I'm frankly surprised that Kenneth hasn't picked up on already and added to his list of crusades. The field of view is blocked as a simple side effect of the rear view mirror being there, it isn't deliberate.

A very great deal of the design that goes into the modern automobile is done because it's a least-cost solution. For example take seatbelts, a 5 point harness is superior to a lap/shoulder belt combo, but the automakers don't use them except for children in car seats. This is purely least-cost engineering and it's done because the general motoring public is largely comprised of idiots too stupid to even put on a seat belt to begin with, let alone know that a 5 pointer is better than a lap/shoulder. Thus there is ample material to rail against out there, it is just a shame that Kenneth wastes his time on stupid stuff like timing belts, instead of worthwile stuff like crusading against so many states that don't give decent drivers tests, 3 point belts, title washing scams, etc. etc.

The point of Nomen's post wasn't to make an observation then get a list of possible solutions. The point was to get a bunch of strangers to respond to something he posted. Just seeing the responses, no matter what he says, is what he's after. He probably is busy masterbating himself while reading them and this is the only way the poor guy can reach climax. Hey Noman, hope you didn't spray the screen again while reading this.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

He used to babble regularly in rec.motorcycles.tech, suddenly left when he became recognized as a dope and showed up here.

Reminds me of "Church Lady" on Saturday Night Live. Likes to throw out a topic, then sit back and watch us discuss it amongst ourselves.

Reply to
Helper

This same guy is also showing up in the jazz group. His latest ranting concerns a highly placed source who claims the legendary jazz pianist Thelonius Monk actually played piano on a 1957 recording of "Tequila" by the Champs.The fact of the matter is that Monk was in NYC, and never anywhere near Los Angeles, where the recording was made.

My best advice for people like this, who have just too much time on their hands, is to ignore them completely. Trolls like to shit-disturb, as earlier suggested, and are to be pittied (from a distance).

Continuing any dialogue with these nutjobs only furthers their ego and their demented personality. Fruit Loops and Looney Tunes like this must be avoided at all costs.

Reply to
Mr. Caravan

I think you're confusing "Church Lady" with Mike Myers' "Coffee Talk" ("Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic...", "I'm all verklempt" - sound familiar?).

Bill Putney

Thanks for the info on him and the trans I will remember that..

Reply to
Daniel Armstrong

Yeah? Well, isn't that special!

Reply to
Helper

You loook mahvelous!

Bill Putney

Good Lord he's Internet famous, but still hides.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Learned something there! I noticed he was a totally off-topic nut troller, but I had no idea that somebody actually went to the trouble to make him famous.

Reply to
Joe