Non-serviceable front wheel bearing - only words in manual - throwaway van?

More work than necessary, plus the added cost of the alignment. Four bolts hold the hub to he knuckle, no need to mess with tie rod separators and guessing at camber. This wheel bearing is about as easy to swap as it gets.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

The steering "knuckle."

Let's see; Two nuts and bolts at the top for the strut. Tie rod end. Ball joint.

versus

Four hub to knuckle bolts.

Your way is a whole lot harder and screws up the alignment.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Not.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Amazing. Talk about leading a horse to water and having it refuse to drink. Somebody shows you that the actual bearings are available, and shows you where to get them, and shows you how inexpensive they are. Somebody else corroborates. And what do you do? You bleat about how they're obviously "the wrong parts", because you (mis)read something in your service manual.

For your willful ignorance, you deserve to spend a lot of unnecessary money on this repair.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

You misread what I wrote. Aside from being rude, here you are simply mistaken and arrogant.

rockauto.com had the wrong parts listed in their data base. they confirmed this when i called them for the correct parts.

i did not misread nothing in the service manual because there was nothing to read. that was the entire point of my post which you also missed.

additionally, you were also wrong that i did not know about the bearings and how inexpensive they are. if you read my original post, i said the bearing was $90 which is what you later said for rockauto. so how you "bleat" that you told me anything? you only told me what i had originally posted but apparently your reading comprehension is limited, except for what you, yourself, write.

i did not misread the shop manual. there was nothing in the shop manual except the bearing was not-serviceable. they made a mistake in leaving out what to do next to effect a repair when a bearing is bad.

why are you so rude? your ignorance about what actually was posted is matched only by your arrogance. what is wrong with you? you have a great deal of knowledge about chrysler cars but no people skills whatsoever. you misinterpret and misread the posts but not the mechanical parts themselves. interesting.

Reply to
treeline12345

I found what should have been in the Chrysler minivan shop manual but was left out. This information is probably coming from Alldata.com.

Dodge Caravan [Plymouth Voyager] Front Wheel Bearings

Q. I have a 1992 Dodge Caravan, 3.0 liter, automatic transmission and

190,000 miles. There is a growling from the front wheels. My mechanic told me the bearings, left and right, are going bad and need to be replaced. This would involve a replacement of the "hub assembly" on both sides, $100.00 apiece, and $200.00 labor.

Can I do this work myself? I'm handy and have replaced pads, rotors, starters, alternators, and such before. Does it require special tools or superhuman strength? Tell me I can save $200.00?

Bradley

A. You can save $200.00 if you are up to the task. I'll outline the procedure and then you can decide if you are up to the challenge.

This hub and bearing assembly is being used on certain extended wheelbase Caravan, Voyager and Mini Ram Vans. This unit is serviced as a complete assembly, and is attached to the steering knuckle by four mounting screws that are removed from the rear of the knuckle assembly.

Removal

Remove cotter pin, nut lock, and spring washer.

Loosen hub nut while the vehicle is on the floor with the brakes applied.

The hub and drive shaft are splined together through the knuckle (bearing) and retained by the hub nut.

Raise vehicle.

Remove hub nut, washer, and wheel and tire assembly.

Disconnect tie rod end from steering arm.

Remove clamp bolt securing ball joint stud into steering knuckle.

Remove caliper guide pins and separate caliper assembly from braking disc. SUPPORT CALIPER WITH WIRE HOOK AND NOT BY HYDRAULIC HOSE. Remove brake rotor.

Separate ball joint stud from knuckle assembly. Pull knuckle assembly out and away from drive shaft. NOTE: Care must be taken not to separate the Inner C/V joint during this operation. Do not allow drive shaft to hang by inner C/V joint, drive shaft must be supported.

Remove the four hub and bearing assembly mounting screws from rear of steering knuckle.

Remove hub and bearing assembly. Replacement of the grease seal is recommended whenever this service is performed.

[Pretty good and fairly accurate. The $100 is about the price from Pep Boys which is actually 89.99 + tax. In my state, that would come to $95+. Also, the part can be ordered from Rockauto.com for $82 + shipping, which would come to around $90. I don't know who makes the part from Pep Boys. If it's also BCA National, then it's a matter of time and convenience and about $6 at most.]
Reply to
treeline12345

In rec.autos.makers.chrysler on 20 Aug 2005 12:32:51 -0700 " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" posted:

FTR, if NAPA is 50% more, then Rockauto is only 33% less.

I'm alert to this sort of thing, because advertisers and politicians use variations of this seeming oddity to confuse people.

If you email me, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. If necessary, change domain to erols.com.

Directions are given as if you know nothing. There's a big range here but I don't know who knows what.

Reply to
meirman

Here's the URL with the added info from AllData:

brary/faqs/bl632h.htm It's hard to say where the added info came from that AllData added. It was missing from the Chrysler factory shop manual for 1994 Plymouth/Dodge minivans. It's possible that AllData got the info from an earlier shop manual or a later one and just added it since the procedure is the same across the relevant years. It's also possible that AllData got it from a third party manual somewhere? Just asking, don't know much about AllData since I have not had to subscribe to them yet.

Reply to
treeline12345

i must have been upset by your rudeness to commit a double negative. i did not misread anything because there was not anything to read. that reads better.

it is interesting. your encyclopedic knowledge of cars combined with your almost complete lack of empathy or rapport, as though people are just cross-threaded bolts to be discarded. i pick up on this because i have the same affliction, although not to the degree that you do. it's called little professor syndrome.

Reply to
treeline12345

Ummm - that's not AllData. Why would you even say it was? Not even the same format that you get with an AllData subscription. So far, until someone proves me wrong, I'm sticking to what I said: For service procedures, if it ain't in the FSM, it ain't on AllData.

Bill Putney

I noticed it, but I thought it was intentional and actually clever.

Your point was that there was nothing in the manual (on the subject). Therefore, there was nothing to be misread, i.e., you "did not misread nothing" since there was nothing there to misread. Also, the powers that be in the grammar world have declared that double negatives are now legitimate (maybe only in informal speech?). I do technical writing where I report the results of certain types of testing. The wording has to be very precise and deliberate Believe me - you do this kind of writing with the grammar checker turned off. Although, if I can re-structure a sentence to avoid a double negative without losing accuracy or clarity, I will do so, once in a while there are instances where using a double negative is the most accurate and concise way to describe something. It is also now acceptable to intentionally split an infintive. 8^)

How about "that that": "It was determined that that bolt was loose before the start of testing."? "If it were possible..." is gramamtically correct even though you would think the awkward sounding "If it was possible..." is called for. It's called past subjunctive mood.

Bill Putney

Your point is what troubled me. This is why I originally said it was _probably_ AllData. I think I said that. I meant that this URL is using data that they say came from AllData. There is that sentence at the bottom of their web page mentioning this.

In any case, my best guess is that it might come from Chilton and that AllData incorporated it? The URL says AllData added something so maybe it added Chilton. If not, then it's probably from Chilton originally and what he posted was only Chilton and directly from Chilton. It's not clear where he got the information but I guess I could ask the web site person for that info.

For sure, it's not in my Chrysler factory shop manual [FSM] for 1994. That I'm pretty sure of. Nor is it in any other supplemental factory shop manuals. That I'm reasonably sure of, but not positive. It's unlikely it would be in the fuel injection, the transmission, and the body diagnostic manuals.

Since the web site does not mention Haynes, that leaves only Chilton. If AllData does not add anything, then I guess one has to purchase the FSM and also the Chilton manual to cover everything. Although the Chilton manual is not often helpful for me, it may discuss things in a way that is easier than the shop manual.

Your point again is well taken. What manuals does AllData use? If they have a cross-license with Chilton and Chrysler, that would be nice. Since Chilton and Chrysler now use CDROM's, it would also be doable from a technical point of view, as opposed to the onerous scanning in of pages.

Reply to
treeline12345

Excellent pickup on your part. I sensed something was wrong when I posted that but I was not in a mood to pick it apart. Thanks for the keen observation.

They sure do. It's not statistics, at least not statistical inference, it's just plain, vanilla numbers. A great one is to use percentages without rates or raw numbers, such as female crime went up 1000% in the last year! This could mean that 1 woman to 10 women were arrested for certain crimes, which pales before 10,000 men. That last example came from academia, which should know better and have high standards. But that is not as usual as one would like.

Reply to
treeline12345

To answer your question exactly, at the bottom of the web page, it states:

"Additional Information provided courtesy of AllDATA"

So that why I said that.

Web page:

treeline12345

Thanks. I'm sorry now I deleted that post.

Interesting.

Why not "It was determined that this particular bolt.." I see, "that that," is really the shortest way.

About the subjunctive, I see the indicative being used, and it always sounds quite jarring. I would think the subjunctive mood, in your example, the past tense, is called for. But I rarely see it in writing anymore. I gather it's considered quaint.

But not for me. I think, hmmm, is this hypothetical or real, subjunctive or indicative. I really do.

Reply to
treeline12345

Is that line possibly boilerplate that appears at the bottom of all of their articles? I have 4 vehicle-specific subscriptions to AllData, and the procedural stuff is right out of the FSM with no embellishment or additons as far as I've been able to tell.

Factory FSM - I have seen nothing that would appear to be from any aftermarket manual (thankfully).

Bill Putney

Yeah - if the customer bleeds on it in the preliminary review, I typically end up re-writing the sentence to something like that for the final release.

Bill Putney

Low tolerance for willful ignorance.

We have never met; you have no knowledge of my people skills. If my words on your screen bother you, avoid my posts.

Or perhaps, in your case, we could call it "armchair psychologist syndrome".

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Those are pretty strong words. Can you back them up with thought? Where was I willfully ignorant? From where I am posting, the willful ignorance is yours, matched only by you willful arrogance - to continue the usual ad hominem metaphor.

We have met, via the posting. The only difference is that we have not face to face. It's possible that your facial expressions would expose a sympatico that does not come through in your posts. That is entirely possible, unlikely, but theoretically possible.

I could avoid your posts. But why? You have an encyclopedic knowledge of cars coupled with an ignorance that is inversely proportional to your knowledge when dealing with people.

You thoughtlessly started an argument with me here because you read incorrectly. You jumped to conclusions because you misread my posts. I was not criticizing your suggestion of Rockauto. I was only pointing out that their online data base was wrong, whereas, their telephone line, on a weekend, was superb.

You cannot admit you made a mistake, can you? Why not? You did make a mistake. Your mistake was not about cars, but about what I wrote.

I am in my armchair, but I also have this affliction. I often do what you do so that's why I recognize this. You seem interested in knowledge. This is something you might want to read up on. Its technical name is Asperger's Syndrome.

Reply to
treeline12345

Interesting, not knowing how bad that hub and knuckle assembly could have been bent due to an accident.. the bearing is less then $60 bucks, it is removed without disturbing the camber setting, Now your gonna buy a used knuckle, and then realign the vehicle possibly with a faulty knuckle??/

Reply to
maxpower