NY State Inspection

My wife took my caravan to the dealer to have a recall redone. They told her that the inspection was coming due at the end of the month, and it was a good idea to have it done today. Twenty minutes later, they came out and told her that the van will fail the inspection because it needed two light replaced, but that they had it on stock and they cost $3.50 each and $10.00 each for installation. She gave them the ok to replaced them, she did not had them to show her the light in question, but I checked all the light this morning before going to work and all were working, I always like to keep my cars up to date and good working. I got the funny felling that she was taken. I have never trusted dealers. I use them for recalls only nothing else. She took it there to replace the rear wiper motor part of the recall. The recall was suppose to be free, but instead she came out with a $41.50 bill, and still they did not do the recall, because they did not have the part in stock. That was not, what they told me yesterday when they made the appointment, now we have to wait until Monday. Looks like they were money hungry today. That is the last time I let my wife to take the van to the dealer.

Reply to
jrvwbuggin

Someone needs help with their addition. You mention $27 in parts and labor. How did the bill get to $41.50? Are taxes really that high where you live?

------------------ Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Chalk up yet another reason to avoid living in New York.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Yeah, boy....

I'll bet those dealership guys took that $41.50 and are living it up on some exotic island somewhere in the Carribean.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Did you check the blinkers and brake lights? They had to for the inspection. Some dealers replace bulbs for free sometimes depending on their mood. On the other hand, sometimes when you go to change the bulb the whole fixture falls apart from moisture damage and has to be replaced. I doubt they were ripping you off. And some one might have brought their car in hours earlier for the recall and used up the part. I call that "almost just in time inventory system". Everyone keeps their parts department lean these days.

taken.

Reply to
Art Begun

Hello, On a recall it is my understanding that you pay for labor and the part is free. What dealer did you go to ? Anthony

Reply to
VINTAGE DEALS

Wrong... repair is free for official recall.

Reply to
Art Begun

Last month my Chrysler dealer told me my Town and Country failed its NYS inspection because a fog light bulb had burnt out. I made him look it up in the inspection book to learn that only mandated lighting equipement were to be included in the safety inspection. I wonder how many customers they had failed over the years for items they were not even authorized to include in the inspection? This was not intentional on their part, but I have seen a lot worse from other dealers (failing a car for rotors not being smooth when the inspection book only authorizes them to fail the breaks if the rotors are too thin or cracked.) It's a jungle out there.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

I got failed once for the bulb that illuminates license plate not being bright enough..........

I asked for and NEVER got the actual candlepower ratings and how did they measure the brightness. I demanded to see a "stuporviser", and then the power hungry inspector decided that if I wipe off the lens covering the bulb, that would be satisfactory. Use your imagination where I got the liquid to effect the wipe!

Howard

I don't know how it is in other states, but in VA, if there's a problem with a state inspection, you call the state police, and they investigate. I've done that twice over my 35+ years of driving, and both times the immediate problem was sternly addressed (the first time was when I was a kid and I saw the trooper with the owner backed up in a corner with the trooper's finger in the owner's chest - quite exhilerating to watch). The last time, the inspection license was pulled (they insisted on failing it for thin brake pads even though I had made them measure them and found them to be 3/32 thicker than required at the very thinnest place) - I'm sure they generally don't pull the license over one incident. They will also send an undercover car into a place that they suspect is pushing things based on complaints. So, at least in VA, even if it's too late for your situation, it does some good to file a complaint.

Bill Putney

"Did you check the blinkers and brake lights? They had to for the Inspection. Some dealers replace bulbs for free sometimes depending On their mood."

Yes I did check the brake light and blinkers, When I got home yesterday I check the recipt, the lights in question were the 3rd brake light. They have 3 bulb the middle one was ok but the two outer one where bad from what they said and one of the lights on the license plate. They did replaced them with the exception of the license place, they did not replace it and they still charge me for the part and labor, I will be calling them today.

"On the other hand, sometimes when you go to change the Bulb the whole fixture falls apart from moisture damage and has to be replaced."

This was not the case.

"I doubt they were ripping you off."

I would have agreed with you but they did not replace the license plate bulb and still charged me for labor and part. The requirement is to have one operating light on the rear license plate some cars have 2 like the caravan, if one is out you can not be failed for it but if both are out yes.

"And some one might have brought their car in hours earlier for the recall and used up the part. I call that "almost just in time inventory system". Everyone Keeps their parts department lean these days"

"Hours earlier" the appointment was done just before closing, and we were the first one there in the morning. They had it on stock and set it aside for us.

My whole point is that they take advantage of women in general, You can tell them that they need to change the summer air in the tires for winter air and that you have a special, they will believe you.

The work was not done satisfactory they clearly took advantage of her I will be talking to the manager after the do the recall just in case.

jrvwbuggin

Reply to
jrvwbuggin

Ok you win. The dealership sucks like most of them.

outer

license

place,

Reply to
Art Begun

Your runny nose? Or the water behind your ears? :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

You must not live in the "special" part of the state called the *NYMA* (New York Metropolitan Area) Where they actually strap your car to a dyno (not a real dyno like us car guys like), verifying the engine displacement and sniffing the cars exhaust at operating speed. All for the bargain price of $35 bucks. Plus whatever is found durning the safety inspection, of course. Wipers, brake pads, lights etc...Only in New York City, Westchester, Rockland and Long Island do they do this. The rest of the state gets away with just a $10 safety sticker. For now....BUT at least it's operated by regular businesses. The State licences individual service stations to do the job, rather than the way other states do it using their own state run centers.

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy

Which states run their own testing centers in the Northaest, other than New Jersey?

Reply to
Sam

I wish they would do this in Oregon where I live. Out there, the State runs the inspection stations and all they test for is emissions. And they only dyno pre OBD-II cars. People have taken rattletraps with shit falling off through the inspection station and gotten their tags. And they charge more than $35 for just sticking a sniffer up the car's ass.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt