o-o mixed my antifreeze

I drive a 1999 3.5 Chrysler LHS with 215,000km The water pump went and had it changed. After driving was low. One litre of Old type green antifreeze was added to the new pink antifreeze. Began to overheat speradically. could not find reason. Overheated into red zone and alarm went. Shut off car imediately. Looked under hood, all was well. After no more than a minute I turned on ignition and the temp was normal. Confused I thought the guage must be shorted out. Fan seemed to be kicking on and of ok. Ran car for about 10 miles cracked plastic tank on side of rad. Took to chrysler replaced rad $$$$ adding up(found stuff in rad). Ran again and was overheating again. Changed thermostat. Overheated again. Puzzled we thought the pump might have plugged with slime. Took it off but was clear. Flushed rad and engine Seperately. Still overheating.???? Help please

Reply to
billholden

Did you bleed the air out of the system after replacing the water pump (there's a bleeder valve - looks exactly like a brake bleeder - on top front of the engine)? Any signs of a blown head gasket? (that might also go along with busted radiator end cap)

Any possibility the present problem is related to whatever made you think the original water pump was bad, or that overheating from when the pump went out caused the present problem (again, like possibly a blown head gasket)?

Pressure bottle not cracked? Pressure bottle cap OK? Cap is not expensive to replace, and they do go bad and cause "mysterious" overheating very much like what you're experiencing.

You brought up the possibility of the gage simply reading wrong - have you in fact ruled that out? i.e., do you know that it is actually overheating, or are you only going by the gage? I doubt if this is the case, but had to mention it.

I doubt if it would cause your problem, but it is disappointing that you put green antifreeze in with your nice new G-05 coolant (I'm assuming that's what you have in it and not DexCool).

Bill Putney

Thanks for your reply Bleeder valve was bled

-no signs of headgasket gone, exhaust is perfect

-Water pump was leaking-bearing was gone (215000km)

-I know it was overheating because it cracked the plastic tank on the side of the rad under preasure _it seems the upper engine is getting hot but the lower engine is cold

-hot upper hose hot under preasure-cold lower hose with no preasure, yet they say that the water flows freely through the rad when flushing and it is a knew rad

-it is as if the rad were plugged?????????????

Reply to
billholden

that'll be the thermostat then?

pottsy

WE already changed the thermostat. I am thinking maybe it is all snotted up in the heads and not allowing the fluid to ceculate. That would explain the rad cracking under pressure. The upper hose has heat and preasure , the lower one is cold.??????????? Would a flush nessessarily clean out the heads or could it bypass or even clean out a passage and not the whole

Reply to
billholden

You could try a reverse flush. Remove the top hose and the thermostat and shove a hosepipe in the hole and send a good pressure of water in the opposite way that the coolant normally flows. This usually gets rid of the sludge unless it's really bad.

I know you've already swapped the thermostat, but have you tried running without it? See if the bottom hoses then get warm.

pottsy

That is a pointless waste of time and effort that will not diagnose or repair anything.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

It'll show whether the thermostat is stuck, (as will dropping it in a pan of boiling water) If the complete system then works albeit a little cooler than it should, i.e. the bottom hose then gets warm, which it isn't at the moment, then it's a faulty thermostat.

pottsy

Mixing antifreezes is first problem. Second problem may be your cooling system is air-bound. It happened to me on a Chrysler. Try to bleed system as you fill it by loosening a fitting or sensor near the thermostat housing. Good luck, Joe

Reply to
Joseph Sonntag

Not accurate in many cases. The lack of a restrictive but open thermostate changes the velosity of the circulaton and can significantly change the system's dynamics. In some cases it may overheat (without any thermostate), even though the system is fine with the thermostate installed).

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

I agree, though I wouldn't expect to see that cause overheating problems so soon (i.e., I doubt if it's causing the immediate problem).

The OP said he already bled the system. Also, most people don't realize this, but the thermostat on this engine is down low on the inlet side of the engine instead of up high on the outlet side of the engine like it is in most cars. However, there is a bleeder valve on the top of this engine for the purpose of bleeding the coolant system of air.

Bill Putney

Well we fixed it. I went to the wreckers and bought an engine with

60,000km. With the alternator, starter, aircond., 6 coils and all the in engine censors installed $2800 taxxes in. The old engine only had 215,00 km but it had a reoccurring collapsed lifter and at least one missfiring coil. So with over 200,000 on the other parts I think this was the best way to go. It was going to cost over 3000 to do heads. For 2800 finnished I think I did the best thing. I want to thank you guys for all your input.By the way don't ever change a high beam in an lhs. That's a nightmare. Haynse manual doesn't explain it very well. You are supposed to undo the uppeer bumper clips and pull the bumper out enough to remove and replace the lense but there is a bolt on either side that is out of reach without special tools so the struggle re & re is enraging. (had a leak in trans cooler hose. had to re&re cooler) We are fine now. We are on different meds. (kidding) Had a taxi fare one time that used me as a get away car. I reported him and he spent 3 months in jail. Says he is on different meds and doesn't do that anymore. Thanks again.
Reply to
billholden

Sounds like maybe so.

That's why many here, including myself, recommend against aftermarket manuals in general - to much missing and mis- information - go with FSM every time to save time and expense.

Bill Putney

Bill Putney