odd fuel gauge 95 neon

I just bought a 95 neon about two months ago, and have noticed that the fuel gauge acts a little odd. When the tank is full, the needle is over the full mark, almost touching the stop pin. at about 30kms after filling the tank, the needle starts to drop. At about 60kms into the tank, I can almost watch the needle move towards the empty point. At about 100kms into the tank, the needle is around empty. I have taken the gauge cluster out and cleaned all the contacts and it still does this. The tank is not empty when it reads that it is as it only takes like $8.00CND in gas at that point. I have driven with the gauge reading empty for over 300kms, so the car is not out of gas. Any suggestions?

Mike e-mail at mlawrenc(at)rcc.on.ca

Reply to
Mike

Uh-huh.

Shell gasoline sold last year in Ontario caused big problems with fuel systems in many makes of vehicle, but the problems were especially bad in Chrysler products. It was due to an additive in Shell gasoline that they have now discontinued, and one of the problems it caused was to gum up the fuel gauge sender unit (in the tank) so that the gauge would no longer indicate correctly. This caused people to run out of gas with the needle still indicating full; yours sounds like the opposite problem. Shell had (probably still has) a program for reimbursing repairs caused by their fuel additive; I don't know if you'd qualify since you didn't own the car when the bad gas was being sold.

But now you know where the problem is: In the gauge sender.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to