Odd problem with voyager

I own a Chrysler Voyager from 1996 (european version). Lately, the engine just stops ones in a while when I am driving. When I then stop I can start it again. The car can run on both gas as well as benzine and the problem accurs with both. If I drive with high speed on the motorway, the engine does not stop, but the car has hick-ups and sometimes backfires.The car has gone twice to the garage, but they can´t do anything because they have no idea what the problem is and both times they looked at it, the engine just went on going. Yesterday, when I was driving 50 (km/hour) the engine stopped, but because I kept my foot on the gas it started itself again.

Has anyone any idea what could be causing this?

Regards,

Michel

Reply to
Michel en Patricia

I asked a question similar to this just some weeks ago. See thread: "Crank Case Sensor and rare stalling"

The backfire should be a big hint but a mechanic will have to help you there since mine did not backfire. Ignition problem, throttle body?

1 A complete tune-up, spark plugs, wires, PCV valve kind of helped. 2 Checking oil. I add some oil when the stalling occurs. 3 D. Stern suggested cleaning the throttle body and gave suggestions. It's something you could do yourself or the mechanic ($100 USD?)

4 Any codes on the computer for trouble spots?

Reply to
Treeline

My first question is did the 'garage' attempt to pull any codes to see what the problem may be.

Possible causes are numerous, TPS, loose connection, etc.

Reply to
PC Medic

I had a problem similar to this in my '96 Voyager. Turned out to be the water pump. Best I can figure was that the failing pump put added drag on the motor. However, it only killed the engine at low speeds.

Also, didn't register any fault code.

Probably not your problem but thought I'd mention it.

-- Christian

Save Darfur --

Vision (Darfur) --
(Sudan) --