Odometer on 92 Lebaron

Our 92 Chrysler Lebaron Landau 3.o l OHC built in Mexico has discontinued to register the speed or mileage. The cruise control stopped working when the speed went to 0. Bob

Reply to
Bob Hewitt

maxpower

I had the same thing on my old LeBaron and it was the VSS just as maxpower says. It was very easy to find and fix. Part should be about $30 or so at the dealer.

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Thanks guys, Where is this thing located?? Bob

Reply to
Bob Hewitt

Mounted on the transmission just where the axle on the right side (passenger) goes into the trans. You may be able to get it from the top, it has been awhile since i had to replace one of those on that year

Reply to
maxpower

Your '92 3-litre LeBaron Landau almost certainly has the 4-speed automatic transmission (gear indicator says P R N D 3 L), and not the 3-speed (with gear indicator P R N D 2 1). If it is the 4-speed auto, there's no external Vehicle Speed/Distance Sensor (VSS); this function is handled by the Output Speed Sensor and you should fix it PRONTO 'cause driving with a dead OSS will burn out your transmission.

If yours is a late-production '92 it could have the 3-speeed auto, in which case it does have a VSS located on top of the transaxle RH axle shaft housing extension, below, in front of and inboard of the brake master cylinder.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I don't believe you are correct on this one Dan. If memory serves me correctly, the 604 used the external VSS until 93. With the 93 models they eliminated the VSS and started using the OSS for vehicle speed.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Dan, It is the 4 speed (P R N D 3 L). Where is this item located??? Bob

Reply to
Bob Hewitt

Urgh...trying to work on your own car without a Factory Service Manual...?

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

That could well be, and if so it would explain the OP's not mentioning any shifting irregularities. I only have one car that came with a 4-speed auto, which has since been removed -- together with the 3.0 litre V6 -- and replaced with something a great deal more robust and fun. I'll take a look in the '92 FSM tomorrow at the office and see.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

And now we go back to where I made a mistake by saying that Laser with had a distributor. > Urgh...trying to work on your own car without a Factory Service Manual...? It doesn't hurt to be wrong Daniel, people do make mistakes, and I wont harp on your mistakes as you do mine

Reply to
maxpower

Dan, I won't do the work!! Just want to be a little smarter today over yesterday. Thanks Bob

Reply to
Bob Hewitt

located???

Service Manual...?

Laser with had

Service

Browse here:

cavedweller

One more question. Does the 92 have the VSS or OSS???

Reply to
Bob Hewitt

Right, sorry -- your '92 has both an OSS and a VSS. The VSS is your probable fault.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Sounds interesting. Tell us more, Daniel.

Thanks.

Reply to
clemslay

Making a '92 Spirit R/T clone based around a built-up 2.5 turbo (intercooled).

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Sounds good. And it's good to see a good car which came with a bad engine and trans saved. Hmm, does the Turbo and V6 emblem have the same mounting holes. That would be too sensible.

Thanks, Daniel!

Reply to
clemslay

It will be.

Yep. That said, I flew to NC, took a long cab ride to Yadkinville (

, "a town in progress"), bought the car--think it had about 60k miles on it or so -- stopped a few miles down theroad at an auto parts store for an air filter, a crankcase breather filterand a set of wiper blades, tossed those items in, pointed the carWestward, and stopped only to eat and sleep until I got to Ventura, CA.The 3.0 and 604 worked flawlessly and returned 27mpg.

The "V6" emblem in '92 is a sticker, not the earlier emblem. It will be replaced not with a "Turbo" emblem (it's no casual observer's business that the car's turbocharged), but with the Mexican-market fender emblem that was never used in the US, see

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

You're lucky you didn't have to, er, shift into a car hauler.

Wow, interesting link, and more links there. Thanks! Imagine how much fuel use and pollution would have decreased in the US, if MPI would have been used more in the US. I used to see about a 94 Spirit (Dodge) FFV, I suppose that was a US car.

Reply to
clemslay