One reason I like lurking here :)

I was following the thread on turning/replacing brake rotors with interest, when a front wheel starting making a familiar squeaking sound. Having bought a used T&C with rotors that appeared to be warped, I knew that I wanted to have that addressed when it came time to do the front brakes. Fortunately in this case, there was enough material there to have them turned, and the brake shudder is thankfully banished.

When I picked it up, I took a moment to query one of the two head mechanics about his pricing vs book pricing. I guess they only hire experienced mechanics, he says that they typically do common jobs in about 20% less time than the book says, and that their pricing reflects this. It seemed to be a point of pride for him.

It's kind of like when the transmission went out, and thanks to this group I understood the warning signs, and was able to talk intelligently to the transmission shop. Well, to the guy at the front desk, actually.

I firmly believe that if a non mechanic knows a little about the basics of cars and car repairs, but doesn't try to act like they know more than they do, they get better service from auto repair shops.

BTW, after asking about tires a while back, I did end up going with the Bridgestone Tuarenzas. They have really superior traction, and work impressively well in the wet. Had a panic stop situation coming back from Christmas, and while cars were skidding and tire smoke was all around, we calmly, but rapidly, simply stopped.

Anyway, thanks.

Lisa

Reply to
Lisa Horton

Wow! I would think that two-head mechanics would be extremely rare. How many two-head mechanics work at that place?

(Sorry, Lisa - couldn't resist - struck me as funny. I enjoyed your post.)

Bill Putney

Hell I argue with myself enough as it is now. Can't imagine how long it would take to get the job done if one had two heads.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.