Out of vehicle fuel pump test

I need to replace the fuel pump in my brothers 1994 Caravan (3.0 in tank pump) He can`t afford a new one and I refuse to pay for it however I have a friend who works at the local junkyard and I can take any fuel pump from a Caravan there for free (Provided I do all the labor,etc) ..What would be the best way to see if the pump I took off one of the junk vans was working before installing it all the way into my brothers van?..Just leave the wires attached and maybe supplying voltage to it for a second or two?.. Thanks..... And yes I know getting a pump from a junked van isn`t the best idea but that`s what we have to do at this time so hopefully it`ll run for a bit afterwards

Reply to
Sara Brown

The pump may be lubricated by the fuel, so I wouldn't run it dry and with no load.

I'd probably put a pressure gauge on it's output, attach some LONG wires, and place it outdoors in a small can of gasoline. Don't place the can near anything important or flammable. Observe all the usual precautions with the gasoline. If you aren't comfortable that you can do this safely; don't do it.

If you get any better suggestions, use theirs.

Good luck, Pat

Reply to
Wayland

There's another consideration in running it dry besides the lubrication of the bearings/bushings, though the bearings/bushings lubrication is a valid one: The commutation (commutator and brushes) also takes place in the fuel. Three ingredients are needed for a fire/explosion: Air (oxygen), fuel (gasoline or its vapors), and a spark. In our vehicles, once fueled at the factory, there is only one ingredient missing between you and kingdom come: air (oxygen) - and that protection is accomplished by the commutation (spark generator) being in the liquid fuel (no air).

Even when you run the vehicle out of fuel, the commutation will be covered in fuel because of several things: (1) The pumping section is below the commutation section, (2) There is a check valve below the fuel pump, and (3) When air hits the pumping section, the column of fuel from the intake sock to the fuel rail remains stationary - so the commutation remains covered in fuel (no air/oxygen).

If the pump were to get emptied out (a situation not designed for), you now have the potential for the one missing ingredient for disaster when you power it up.

Reply to
Bill Putney

Reply to
man of machines

Your friend at the yard should be able to point you to a Caravan that was driven to the yard under it's own power. Failing that, find a Caravan that is extremely smashed in - the reason why is that it was running up until the accident.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt