Outrageous price for head restraints

We have a '97 Caravan. Our daughter (8 yrs.) is tall enough so that her head is as high as the seat back (bench seats). We priced the head restraints: $287 each! I thought the guy was joking, and he was surprised the car hadn't come with the restraints in the first place. Why are head restraints so expensive?

Anne

Reply to
Anne

Mike Behnke

Our '99 T&C (Grand Caravan) came with head restraints on all but the center rear seat.

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I did some research, and on the plain Caravan back then, the head restraints on the middle and rear seats were an option. :(

Anne

Reply to
Anne

I'm hoping we can find them. I also hope that because the Caravan body style remained the same for a few years, so did the head restraints. That way, we'll have more potential cars to choose from.

Anne

Reply to
Anne

Yes, we're the original owners. I did a little more research and learned that in '97 the plain-vanilla Caravan didn't come equipped with the middle- and rear-bench head restraints; it was an option. I don't recall being offered the option, and we didn't think to ask. Our daughter was a baby at the time (and was in a car seat), and I guess we didn't realize we might own the car for the next seven years! We have plans to go rummaging through some salvage yards in the next few weeks.

I was just shocked at the price of the restraints bought new.

Anne

Reply to
Anne

Good luck in your Junk Yard search! One word of warning though. Be prepared to lose considerable rear window visibility when you install the rear head restraints. This was the first thing I noticed when we traded in our older Grand Caravan for the '99 T&C. It really forced me to use the side rear view mirrors a lot more than previously.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman