Parking brake light comes on occasionally

The parking brake light on the dash of my 2000 Concorde LX comes on occasionally even though the parking brake is not engaged. The brake is a pedal and it's fully disengaged (pulled up) so the light is not do to it being partially pressed from what I can tell. Anyone have any idea what could cause this?

Thanks.

Reply to
Mark Bratcher

Make sure the master cylinder is at the correct level. If it is low the brake lite will also come on.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Make sure the master cylinder is at the correct level. If it is low the brake lite will also come on.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks Glenn. I checked the brake fluid level under the hood and it looked OK. Any other thoughts on what it might be?

Reply to
Mark Bratcher

You need to have the brake system thoroughly inspected. The light is warning you that half the brake system is doing 'way too much work; there is Something Wrong. Look for leaks, inspect the pads, look for signs of dragging. The FSM has the most likely problems, go through its list. If you don't own an FSM, take it to a brake shop.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Well you didn't mention anything about the brake pedal feel so it could be a pressure problem. If the master cylinder is full and the emergency pedal is in the full retract position the next thing to check would be a faulty emergency brake switch. You can disconnect the switch the next time it turns on to see if that is the problem (located on the ratchet assembly) or if you think it is a pressure related problem you should have a qualified person take a look at it.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Well you didn't mention anything about the brake pedal feel so it could be a pressure problem. If the master cylinder is full and the emergency pedal is in the full retract position the next thing to check would be a faulty emergency brake switch. You can disconnect the switch the next time it turns on to see if that is the problem (located on the ratchet assembly) or if you think it is a pressure related problem you should have a qualified person take a look at it.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

OK, just discovered something... the parking brake pedal seems to, on it's own drift down a little, activating the brake light. If I engage the pedal and pull the brake release, the pedal doesn't fully return: it has to be manually pulled up. Does the pedal mechanism include some kind of spring that releases it properly? If so, maybe mine's broken.

Reply to
Mark Bratcher

Gee, ya think?

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Smart-alec comments aside, I wasn't sure because I don't know if the pedal uses a spring mechanism, or whether it recoils from some other force on the pedal. I was hoping to receive some guidance in that area since my Chilton manual doesn't describe it in much detail.

Anyone here have a *useful* suggestion?

Thanks.

Reply to
Mark Bratcher

Start with an FSM; then, of course, you have the mechanism in front of you and can look for a spring yourself.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Aren't we all very funny today? ;)

My point was that I didn't want to go through the trouble to remove the parking brake mechanism if the problem was up the line somewhere else, like at the other end of the brake cable (I wasn't sure where the tension to pull the pedal back into place originated).

Reply to
Mark Bratcher

Logic and experience would dictate that you 1.) check the parking brake cables for proper lubrication (a routine maintenance item neglected by 99% of owners), 2.) the pedal pivot and pawl assembly for same and 3.) the condition/presence of a return spring. I've never seen a foot parking brake assembly without one...ever.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Hilarious, but all too true. I must say, however, that the current crop of Haynes "manuals" are a bit better than what Chilton used to market...easily the worst "all-in-one" shop manuals I ever saw.

Reply to
DeserTBoB