Persistent oil leak on 200 Grand Caravan

At 55,000 miles this Caravan developed an oil leak. The vehicle has been remarkably trouble free until now. The response I usually get when discussing this is "Already ? At just 55,000 miles ? Wow!".

Background: At about 54,000 I took it into a local garage with a transmission fluid leak AND coolant leak. I have been working with this garage for years, and trust them. They replaced the transmission pan gasket and had to replace the timing cover gasket, as that was where the coolant was leaking from. While they had the timing cover off, I had them go ahead and replace the water pump.

OK, so after about a week I start noticing an oil leak, and more transmission fluid! I took it back and they said, "Well, uh, sometimes when you start replacing "stuff" you might loosen marginal gaskets elsewhere and thus the new leaks". Hmmmph. I'm not so sure about that. They said the rear main oil seal and solenoid pack on the tranny needed replacing and they were ready to do the job. When they admitted they didn't remove too many transmissions, I was skeptical, so got a transmission shop recommendation from a friend. They did the job for about $500 and all was well... for about a week, when the oil leak came back, worse than ever it seemed. Of course, I couldn't tell if it was coming from the same source, so was getting concerned. I took it back to the tranny shop and they scratched their head, muttered something about too much pressure maybe causing this (which they eventually retracted, saying the engine was running too smoothly for that to be the cause) and did the job again, gratis. As soon as I got it home, it was still leaking!

Anyone else seen this scenario ? Comments about what I heard from the two different shops ? I am wondering if I need to approach the dealer for some kind of deal here, even though it is out of warranty.

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott W

Scott,

I own three Chrysler products, including a 1999 T&C minvan. I also have a

1991 Mitsubishi that has a Chrysler transmission. None of them has ever leaked from the transmission pan seal and knowing how they are RTV'ed from the factory (and how difficult it is to break this seal to replace the fluid and filter), I'd suspect that the original leak was not from the trans pan gasket. As such, I wouldn't trust their current diagnosis either, although I have heard others comment on leaking from the solenoid pack area previously. That said, I have personally seen trans fluid leaks from the transmission cooler lines so I'd encourage you to get under there and see for yourself where it is dripping from and then try to see if you can find the source of the leak.

You don't indicate what engine and I'm not even sure of the year of the vehicle (200?) so won't comment on the oil leak.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

They are not looking at the right area for the leak. They are looking at were the oil has accumulated, and believe that is were the leak is. The problem is you are driving the vehicle, causing the oil to spread. What the tech's should do is clean the engine and tranny, and run the vehicle as it is parked, and/or put a dye in engine and tranny fluid, to see were it is exactly leaking from. I suspect they are not doing that.

Reply to
David

So what you're basically saying is that none of the shops ever POSITIVELY identified the source of the leak, yet were willing to take your money, perform major R&R to get at a seal that RARELY ever leaks on Chrysler engines and replace it?

I'd change shops if I were you. And I'd also find the source of the leak- it can be done by washing down the engine, adding a dye to the oil, and looking at the engine with a good UV light.

Reply to
Steve

You mean the scenario of dumb or dishonest mechanics dragging their customers through an expensive song and dance? Yup.

Reply to
Old Car

"Well, uh, sometimes when

POPPY COCK

Hmmmph. I'm not so sure about that. They said the

Yes I have heard that alot from the independent shop, but normally they give up and say its a dealer item take it to the dealer.

The best way to locate an oil leak is using a dye substance and black lite. I recommend you having someone do that, this can also be done with coolant and trans fluid but dont do it all at the same time, normally you dont have to do this will ATF because the leaks are right in front of the technicians nose

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
mic canic

recommendation

Sup Mic??? hey I see you found that spell check button!!! You guys got your a/c machine's ready to roll?

Reply to
maxpower

our machines work all year the ac still works in defrost mode and people here notice it more than you would think

maxpower wrote:

Reply to
mic canic

Where is here again?