please help ! caint afford expensive repairs

I , have a 2002 intrepid the oil light blinks after awhile of driving , it has 122,000 miles on it, when i stop it stays on then it goes away when i drive, a friend suggest that i use 10-40 can you help?

Reply to
vinnie

has nothing to do with the oil your using..how long has it been sence oil change?? i think your what we call idiot light problem...

Reply to
Scrapper

I'm afraid you aren't going to like any of the answers you're going to get. The car needs a new engine (or a rebuild, sorry) -- you're looking at money. Thicker oil or a product like "Motor Honey" will help you stave off the inevitable for a little while, but that's the best you'll get....

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Have you changed the oil consistently? This is especially important if you have the 2.7, (if they were still using it for 2002)

I could just be an oil sender switch.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

What a Maroon. New engine? Maybe not. Have the oil pressure checked with a mechanical gauge to see what your pressure "actually" is. If it checks O.K., you will need a new pressure switch. My '99 Intrepid, 2.7L had that problem. I was advised to do what I just told you by the most knowledgeable here, Mr. Putney, Mr. Beasley. My pressure checked O.K., new switch and problem gone. I've got 110,000 on mine.

Larry Behold Beware Believe

Reply to
Larry Crites

Oil pressure sending units are notorious for failing in this way, giving a false oil warning light at low RPM. Have the oil pressure checked with a reliable mechanical oil pressure gauge. If the mechanical gauge shows low pressures, you have an internal engine problem.

Reply to
Steve

Agreed to everything you said

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

The right answer is that you need to replace the oil pressure switch. This has been discussed numerous times on this newsgroup. Bottom line is that the pressure switch is known to fail in the exact manner you describe - basically an internal leak develops in the switch and that upsets the calibration (the trip point at which it closes and turns the light on). You might even find that the switch is externally leaking oil a little - that can go hand in hand with the internal leak problem, but won't necessarily be the case.

Replace the oil pressure switch (also mis-called the sender). Just to make sure, you could temporarily install a real pressure gage to convince yourself that the pressure is in fact good under all conditions, but it is highly unlikely that low oil pressure is the real problem on this vehicle.

Bill Putney

Finally! Someone is paying attention! :)

Bill Putney

Bill I was paying attention.... can you give me a pat on my back?

Reply to
maxpower

has anyone checked the quantity of oil in this engine?

Reply to
Max Power

Well, I sure hope you guys are right. I haven't seen one fail like this, but I have seen this symptoms from an engine with excessive clearance in the bearings.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

If there was a mention of internal noise I may have agreed with you, but no mention of it so an oil pressure test/oil pressure switch would be the next step. The problem is if the switch is leaking oil into the connector and a new switch is installed without cleaning out the connector the lite may still illuminate.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

have you checked the oil level???

v> I , have a 2002 intrepid the oil light blinks after awhile of

Reply to
philthy

Will fax one to you. :)

Bill Putney

I've seen both cases... even without abnormal engine noise. I used to have a F*rd straight-6 that couldn't hold more than 1-2 PSI of oil pressure at hot idle, and maybe 10-15 psi at highway speed (verified by mechanical gauge). The engine never made a single abnormal sound, and ran fine that way for several years. Of course I never trusted it to get more than 30 miles from home, either. ;-) Then there was my father's 92 Dakota that had the exact same symptoms, and it turned out to be the sending unit.

Reply to
Steve

One thing to realize, Steve, is that the particular pressure sensor used on late model Chrysler vehicles are very prone to this problem - almost predictable after so many miles of driving. 95+% of the time, these symptoms indicate a bad (leaky) sensor (though I and others are usually careful to cover our butts by suggesting that the OP do a pressure check with a real gage for peace of mind.

Bill Putney

Reply to
MOPower

I?d try replacing the sending unit for