Plug replacement 97 voyager 3.3

How do you supposed to get to the rear plugs on 97 grand voyager 3.3. Chiltons manual says remove windshield rocker. I removed the wiper blades and the rocker and still could'nt get to the rear plugs, Do I need to remove the plennum also and it looks like the alternator bracket, I looked under vehicle and it doesn't look like I can get them from there either, Van has

73,000mi, and still runs great but I don't know if I should trust the wires and plugs untill 100 grand like manual recomends. Any comments or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks to the group.

Reply to
Larry

The complete wiper module assembly has to be removed to get to them from the top. The easiest way is to raise the vehicle and get them from the bottom. Or if you have long arms and lots of patience you can get them from reaching around the back. If your gonna replace them, I would suggest doing the plug wires also with a good set of MOPAR wires. Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Larry, Put on your gloves and roll down your sleeves, this is gonna hurt! I have read posts from other guys that have managed to get the rear plugs from underneath the van, with some creative extension/swivel use. I found that impossible without a lift. The other method, removing the windshield wiper "module" is no picnic. I hope you realize that you have to remove the lower housing, with the wiper motor and linkage! I just did this(reluctantly) on my way to the lifters and I am quite "pissed-off" at the helter-skelter engineering that went into turning this 3.3 sideways and allowing next -to- NO- consideration for the poor mechanic that has to remove 3 bushelbaskets of peripheral crap before he can see or touch the item that has failed! I have 79000 easy miles on mine and the factory plugs are worn to a gap of

0.081". I will compliment the electrical design team on the ignition system that can fire that plug under extreme demands! Please let me know what you decide to do. Jake.

Reply to
Jake

Can be done from the bottom but requires some dexterity. You can drop the exhaust for a little more room. If you go from the top, pull the plenum and do the heater hoses while you have it all apart. You'll be glad you did.

Reply to
Steve

thanks for the input, I already removed the wiper module and when after all that I still had to do a lot more to get to the plugs, Plennum off,some alternator brackets etc. I just put it back together and will deal with it when I have more time to tear everything apart to get to them, Not like my

Reply to
Larry

Reply to
Dave

I find top side access to the rear passenger side plug is easiest by removing the alternator bracket. This does not require removal of the alternator or the belt, just the bracket itself which obviously must be reconnected before you attempt to use the vehicle.

The bottom line is two of the rear plugs are difficult to reach so do what you need to get at them.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I second that. I bought my first 6-cyl van a couple of years ago, and being well used it came with elderly plugs and leaking valve covers. I was initially horrified at all the stuff in the way, but with advice from a friend who was a tech, and a manual (Haynes, sorry Dave) I found it wasn't all that bad. Just took it slow and easy, and made sure once I was in I replaced everything that needed it, and used good parts. Two years later everything is great.

Reply to
Dave Gower