Plymouth

I have a 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager, recently the speedometer started acting up, reads 0 below about 65 MPH, then reads correctly, transmission does not shift correctly, until speedometer reads correctly. Engine service light is on, A/C functions intermittently. Once the speedometer comes up , the transmission, and A/C will work, even after it goes back to zero. Once I stop, all reverts to the problem. I have checked all of the fuses, and all are good, and making good connections. Hope this makes sense, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, bill snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Wanliker

There is an output speed sensor located in the transmission housing which in your case is going bad. Check the connector and if it looks clean and dry, replace the sensor. Cost is reasonable and it is fairly easy to access from below. Do not overtighten as the sensor case is plastic.

The bottom line is that this is a cheap and easy problem to fix.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Bob, Thanks for the rapid reply, can you be more specific about where that sender is located? I am old, so want to stay under the vehicle as short a time as possible. Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Wanliker

Prime suspect: Transmission output speed sensor and/or its wiring.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I did mine a couple years back and have also replaced on other vehicles since then so this is from memory ... and may well be wrong. (I'm sure others who know will let me/you know.)

The sensor was located under the driver side of the vehicle pretty much behind the left front tire up on the side of the transaxle. You will see it pretty clearly and it has an electrical connector that needs to be removed. I'd suggest purchasing the replacement first so you know what you are looking for.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I stopped at the auto parts store this afternoon, and picked up a switch, so I am set there. I checked the two differant manuals they had there Chiltons and Haynes, and neither one showed the switch location. So I will be crawling under the van in the next few days and will see what happens then. guys thanks for the help, and I will give feedback in a few days as to what the results are. Thanks All, bill

Reply to
Wanliker

I changed out the switch today, and everything works fine now. The switch was located on the top/front of the transmission, on the drivers side, very close to the shifter input to the transmission. Removed the air cleaner for access. The old switch had cracks in the body from the heat over the years. Again, Thanks to all that replied. bill

Reply to
Wanliker