Plymouth Aclaim initial overheat

Here is one for you guys! My 1995 3.0 ltr Acclaim initially overheats when first operated on cold mornings, usually within the first 5 miles. When it does, I stop, turn it off, then restart and (airlock ?) seems to go through and then it's good for rest of day. Fan motor changed as well its sensor, radiator changed in the last 2 years, radiator cap changed, thermostat changed as well. It isn't losing any coolant, runs great besides that. On warmer mornings, I does not overheat. I was told only other possibility is leaky head gasket but see no leaking coolant anywhere. An airlock seems to form in the system on cold mornings but once it goes through, there is no more problems. I have had 3 mechanics look at it and no one seems to understand this. You guys should be able to help me, I hope. This car has 419,000 kms and has been very faithful.Any ideas?

Reply to
Nul

The only thermostat that will work correctly in this engine is the OEM one, if you used one from a dime store, that would be the first place to look.

Just because you don't see any external coolant leakage doesn't mean the head gasket isn't leaking. The only 100% certain way to rule out a leaking head gasket is to pressurize each cylinder with compressed air with the cylinder at top dead center and look for air or any sign of coolant movement at the radiator filler neck. Since the rear head gasket is usually the first to fail, I'd start checking at the rear cylinder head.

Reply to
aarcuda69062