Plymouth horizon steering problem.

The problem is in the steering. The car is a Plymouth horizon, 1987.

Steering wheel is not straight when the tires are. The steering wheel is off center by about 25 degrees turning to the right.

While we are driving steering left or right regardless of speed the steering wheel will skip (jerk) you can feel it and hear a little chunk when it happens and it is as if the power steering kicks in, steering is no longer stiff.

I had the car on supports this afternoon. The steering is fine in both directions and the weird part is the steering wheel is no longer off center.

When the car is parked the skipping is there but as soon as you give it some gas the power steering will kick in.

Now what was done to try to remedy the problem. Sucked up the power steering fluid twice.(the fluid is still black as night) Replaced the ball bearings on top of both struts=same.

What others say to do. One neighbor says to bleed the steering fluid. Another says replace the rack and pinion. Someone else says beat down the last owner. LOL

The last owner used break fluid instead of steering fluid. Explains the black as night and beating comments.

I would like to get this fixed ASAP before snow flies anyway. Send ideas, repair quotes, people that would do the work for a decent price of course. I am in Edmonton Alberta. Please get a hold of me at snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Skiny

"Skiny" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote

That sounds like a SERIOUS issue with your steering. Bad tie rod ends inner or outer Bad lower ball joints Bad bushings on lower control arm. Bad struts. Bad steering(rack) unit or mounting. Bad alignment. Given the age maybe all of the above.

Oh ya. To purge PS system remove return hose. Plug reservoir inlet. Route return hose to large bucket. Keep pouring fluid in it (with engine running) while turning wheel stop to stop until it runs clean. Will take several quarts. Not a big deal if it pumps it out faster than you can pour it in.

Reply to
StevJensen

Reply to
Skiny

Reply to
Skiny

Reply to
Skiny

Found a good mechanic Cars & Light Trucks Hospital Ltd.

12833-55 Street Edmonton AB. Ding is the man and owner. All it needed was a good flush and it is as good as new. Once again I Thank you for your input.
Reply to
Skiny