POLL ::: If the rear differential of a 4WD jeep is overhauled by a Jeep Dealer because of failure

should the dealership instinctively look at the front IDENTICAL high failure rate differential such as for fluid check and other possible problems in a quick check without customer request ???

Yes or No

Dealer comments welcome

Reply to
aaa

They are in there doing a specific repair to a specific component, NOT in there to perform routing maintenance. So, I would say no. The assumption is that the owner has already had the routine maintenance checks performed as recommended...which would cover the fluid check, etc. on your list. I'm sure the cost for the rear diff repair doesn't include maintenance checks on any other part of the vehicle. But, that's just my opinion.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

The initial request was to investigate a rear whining sound, not specifically to replace the differential. The rear differential was then overhauled upon service advisor recommendations. Shoul entire drive line been inspected ?

Reply to
aaa

Are you sure it is identical?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

No.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

The question I have is has there been a subsequent problem with the front differential or are you concerned that there could be one in the future? Have you noticed any problems or noises since the work? If I'd been working the job I wouldn't have automatically suspected a problem with the front diff. I'm looking forward to hearing what has happened since you had the rear diff work done. If you haven't had any problems I wouldn't fret worrying when the front end will go out.

Best of luck,

Tom Heintz "Mopar Maniac"

Reply to
Tom & Debbie Heintz

Reply to
mic canic

It went out 120 days after repair of the rear.

Reply to
aaa

Oh, and did I mention the rear pinions were all torn up in the overhauled rear from just 120 days ago and had to be redone also again just two days after the front was rebuilt.

So here we have 3 differential reworks now in 120 days and I might be looking at a fourth on the front again for a concern that was mentioned.

Be aware, these are JEEP DEALERS do>It went out 120 days after repair of the rear.

Reply to
aaa

True...but you wouldn't want to pay a master mechanic rate for the time spent "checking fluids" that typically would be done by a more junior level person at half the cost.

| > They are in there doing a specific repair to a specific component, NOT in there | > to perform routing maintenance. So, I would say no. The assumption is that | > the owner has already had the routine maintenance checks performed as | > recommended...which would cover the fluid check, etc. on your list. I'm sure | > the cost for the rear diff repair doesn't include maintenance checks on any | > other part of the vehicle. But, that's just my opinion. |

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Yes, they should have. No they won't.

Reply to
Ted Azito

Just how many pinions do you have in your rear differential? If you have more than one, then I think I know what your problem is! :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

OK smart ass. The PINION BEARINGS.

Reply to
aaa

Would you please name names, like where and who the dealership is, so that the rest of us can avoid them?

I get so sick of these complainers like yourself badmouthing repair places then not saying who or where the repair place is. It really makes me think that the reason your not doing so is that there's other extenuating circumstances where it's your fault, and you don't want to accept the blame for it so you don't want to give any opportunity for checking up your story.

If this story were really true and it really was their fault, you would have no qualms about telling us who it is that is screwing up your vehicle. Since your protecting their identity I question that your story is really true.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Well, that is a rather different failure mode than the pinion gear. Did your differential leak oil? Most bearing failures are from lack of lubrication. Probably the next most frequent failure mode is over stress due to misalignment, excessive preload or abuse during use.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I don't.

I think it's pretty obvious now, that you fabricated most of this story. What I can't figure though is why you took your Yugo into a Chrysler dealership in the first place.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

When my rear failed I checked the fluids myself before I took it in. Mine happened at 42k. Just over the 3/36 warranty time. And I had complained of mine making noise before the warranty ran out. Twice at the dealer ! They just said "normal for mileage and year" yeah, right ! It failed and then they said $900 ! I said NO WAY! and called Customer Care. I just calmly asked for "a adjustment on a out of warranty repair". They were very cordial and took some comments from me and then put me on hold and came back and said "no problem, we'll cover the parts if you cover the labor". I said fine and it cost me $300 to fix it. The Grand Cherokee now has 80k on it and working fine. Did you call them first about this ? It's a common failure on late model Jeeps probably since they are using junk Chinese bearings or something in there. The earlier Jeeps hardly ever failed.

Steve m.... (Pittsburgh, Pa) Jeep fixed happily at Quick Micks Chrysler Jeep in the North Hills of Pennsylvania (5 star dealer)

Reply to
Steve m...

You are living proof it takes small things to entertain childish minds. I have better things to do with my time. Your childish attitude surfaced quite well Teddy. Nitey nite.

Reply to
aaa

Oh goody, I was beginning to think I wasn't entertaining you anymore.

What? Better than posting here? Apparently not.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt