Possible project Car: 95 Neon - What to do with it?

Hi y'all

I can have an old, but working Dodge Neon (base - no AC, no frills) for free. It runs well, but has rust here and there. Some mechanical work is required. But beside this, I am wondering what to do with it? In fact, can I do anything creative with it? My initial options are:

1) a simple restoration - nothing more (repair rust and engine) 2) pimp it (for fun) 3) using it the basis for a kit car conversion. This is my ideal option, but I have no idea if one can even use the Neon for this? Can you insight me if this is even possible? Are there any kit car conversion that can make use of the Neon's mechanicals?

I want this to be a project for my 2 pre-teen boys and I (sharing some quality time). Can you help?

Thanks for *any* and all suggestions!

Ice

Reply to
Ice

How about automating the bejeepers out of it & make it a show car? Not just locks & windows; voice commands, proximity sensors/voice responses, calls home, etc etc etc. It can get to be a long list if so inclined. The technology all exists and isn't all that expensive. Of course, customize too.

Pop

Reply to
PopS

I'd start with the basics, fix it up back to "original" condition so it would be driveable for them when they're old enough. That alone will probably keep them (and you) quite busy fixing all the little stuff, most of which will be fairly cheap (sanding, adjusting, etc.)

You need to learn how to walk before you can run. :)

Then, if they're like most boys, they'll want a 5000W stereo and a nitrous kit.

Reply to
news

Do you live in an area where air conditioning isn't common and do you need a basic transportation car? If so fix it up enough that it runs and is reliable.

You will probably find that rust visible on the surface means lots more potentially serious rust below. My guess is the car came from the snow belt where lots of salt was used on the roads. If so expect lots of under car damage.

That's an immature and disgusting descriptive.

Anything is possible, it's just a question of time and money. Most kit cars are designed to be used with a specific range of cars, so you need to decide which style kit car appeals and then contact the makers to see if they have one that works with a Neon. To be honest the Neon (aka Kneeon 'cause your knees usually hit the dash) was inexpensive to begin with and most of them were run with little maintenance and disposed of once problems began to surface.

Largely a waste of time considering the car. If a project car is of interest then get something pre-computer that you can work on at home and will be worth something when you finish. One other consideration, the boys. If they don't have much of an interest in repairing cars, don't be surprised, especially that car. Kids today don't get a very good image of auto shop from school. It is treated as one of the vocational classes that school failures are sent through, unlike when I was in school.

Your kids may be different, but most of the kids I've seen don't know a screwdriver from a socket and treat home auto repair with disdain.

Reply to
John S.