Power steering idle boost switch question

The little check/service engine icon light came on in my 01 PT Cruiser. I had a code pulled and was told it's a switch on the power steering pressure line that boosts the idle so the engine doesn't stall when parallel parking. The switch was back ordered at the Chrysler dealer, but they told me this switch, when faulty, should NOT turn the check engine light on. I went back to my mechanic, he connected his scanner to the onboard computer on my car, and once again, it showed that this switch was bad and had turned the check engine light on. Who is correct, the mechanic or the dealer?

Reply to
Pete E. Kruzer

That switch will set a fault code if a problem is detected. Replace the switch and Happy Motoring!!

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks Glenn! Chrysler lists two hours labor, $31 for the switch, a total of about, ballpark $200. Now here's the fun part. I was told that it won't hurt anything not to replace the switch. BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, Pennsylvania has an emissions inspection. A vehicle can not pass the test if a "check engine" light is on. Since my local Chrysler dealer was wrong about the switch NOT setting a code, could they be wrong about the labor time?

Reply to
Pete E. Kruzer

Thanks Glenn! Chrysler lists two hours labor, $31 for the switch, a total of about, ballpark $200. Now here's the fun part. I was told that it won't hurt anything not to replace the switch. BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, Pennsylvania has an emissions inspection. A vehicle can not pass the test if a "check engine" light is on. Since my local Chrysler dealer was wrong about the switch NOT setting a code, could they be wrong about the labor time?

Oh how they are wrong about the labor. It takes 20 seconds to replace the switch once it is on the lift. An hour labor is the normal charge for connecting the DRB, replacing the switch and clearing the code. Find another Dealer to do the repairs on your vehicle.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower