Power steering on 2002 T&C

My power steering system on 02 T&C was making some noise, I had the system flushed, the noise is gone and it is working just fine.

Now the end seal of the rock is dripping about one drop of fluid each day, can I use some power steering additive to soften the end seal and stop the sipping and if it is OK to use additive, with one should I use.

Reply to
Jack

That was the reason why your power steering was making noise in the first place. It was low on fluid and the leak is due to the inner tie rod seals failing and loosing fluid. The fix is to replace the steering rack.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

You could just drain out all the "power steering fluid" and refill it with ATF (the Chrysler approved stuff, of course). Power steering fluid is hydraulic fluid just like ATF but not as good (less highly refined? less pure? whatever...). ATF has, among its many additives (all of which would be good for the system) stuff included to keep seals soft & swelled-up to avoid leaks. ATF costs more than power steering fluid, but it's not like you'll need that much, or have to replace it...

Reply to
Ron Seiden

Or just keep the PS oil level up, until the rack wears out and the car won't hold an alignment anymore and then replace it.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt