Power window hangup 96 Grand Caravan

Own a 96 Grand Caravan, and recently the passenger side power window has started to hang up, ie if the window is put down just a couple of inches, suddenly it won't close..I tried silicon spray like some in this ng earlier stated, but to no avail..then I went outside and put my palms on the window, gave it a little nudge upward (about an 1/8" move occurred). Went back in the car and the window went up! Thinking the "problem" was "fixed", the other day I inadvertently hit the power window button and it went down the whole way..the only problem was it would not go back up (a rather cold drive to work ensued!). Returning to my car after work, I figured I'd try the button again, and it went up the whole way! Ok, so now the question is: Does anyone have an idea on what the problem might be? I'm scared to death to open the window again for fear it will go all the way down and not come up...Could it be something broken in the power window track? And if so, is that something I could check myself..any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated..meanwhile, that window is staying in the closed position. Rusty

Reply to
Rusty

Can you tell when it won't go up if the motor is trying to push it up and can't (window physically stuck) or is there an intermittent power problem (motor, wiring, switch- in one direction only). When you physically pushed the window and got it going, it still could be either type of problem.

Reply to
Mike Martin

Reply to
Rusty

Reply to
mic canic

wow, that sounds expen$ive. My 93 grand does the same thing, but my problem is electrical, not mechanical. At times my windows (plural) refuse to work, but a well placed tap, spank or rap on the door near the control unit (by that I mean the double control on the drivers door) and its like magic, the windows work again. Interesting enough, if the passenger window stops working, it still takes a wack on the driver side to start it working again. And no I don't go around hitting the van when it won't work, I just happened to notice that the windows began to work after opening and closing the door. Example: leaving parking garage, try to roll down window, no-go, curse once, open door, swipe parking pass through reader, close door, check window, NOW it works, curse again. Anyway, before you buy anything, find out if your problem is elec or mech, does the motor groan when you hit the button? do the lights dim? ( signs of a mech problem). And by the way, I'm going to fix mine one of these days, yep, comin right along now.

mic canic wrote:

Reply to
John Smith

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 17:11:18 -0500, John Smith wrote in ten foot tall digital flames:

My '91 Acclaim has something that seems a combination of electrical and mechanical - randomly the driver's window will refuse to lower more than a quarter inch, so I have to sit there rocking the switch back and forth for a good minute. Once it gets 3 inches down or so, it goes the rest of the way no problem.

Reply to
Dennis Busse