Pros and cons - Remote Starters

Hello all!

I figured this might be a good place to ask if I could install a remote starter into a 2004 Stratus. We purchased this vehicle with under 10,000 miles a couple years ago and it still has under 20,000 miles. When purchased, it did not have the remote door/trunk lock remote but I took it into the local dealer and had it installed. Now, Christmas is approaching and I was thinking about letting the wife have a Remote Starter. (It's COLD here in Wisconsin) Could I effectively and safely have a remote starter installed without removing or tampering the newer door/trunk lock remote we just had installed? What brand or model would you recommend/avoid? Advice?

Thanks!! I appreciate your replys or advice.

BB

Reply to
birdbrain

philthy

I bought the Bulldog/JBS system and was about to install it in my car. Then the car got totaled in an accident. The replacement car came with a 'Viper' Valet system. Nice. I've been told the Viper is the best setup out there, but the Bulldog has great instructions and manuals. They have a DVD that comes with the kit that is pretty good at describing how to do the install and the PROPER way of 'splicing in' to a wire. The install kit comes with a little tool to help test and verify connections. What's also nice is they also have 'vehicle specific' harnesses that can cut your install time by hours. Turns out the harness for my Pontiac that got totaled will also work in my Olds, so I can install the remote starter in my other car now.

Oh, they have a new system now that just 'plugs in'. Kind of pricey, but it uses your cell phone to call and start. Makes me wonder what happens if you don't have service where you park...

Mike

Reply to
Mike Y

Just be aware that if it's easy to 'plug in', it's just as easy to 'unplug'. And since most wiring harness plugs are generally located in easy accessible areas to allow service to be performed, that will make it simple for the bad guys.

Reply to
Eat Spam

Thanks to all who replied. I went ahead and got a Bulldog remote starter along with the 791 bypass. I will post some results when I get this thing installed.

BB

Reply to
birdbrain