PT Cruiser

Thinking about getting one..Any pros or cons to think about Tanx in advance. Frank

Reply to
Frank Baker

Check out the NEW Route 66 Yellow edition!!

PT_Sean

Frank Baker wrote: :: Thinking about getting one..Any pros or cons to think about :: Tanx in advance. :: Frank

Having lived with mine for nearly four years now, the main problem with it (which you will discover almost immediately when you drive it) is the turning circle, which is not as tight as it could be. This makes manoeuvring difficult in small spaces.

The space inside is practical for a small car (not competing with the 7 seaters, obviously); the performance is not wonderful compared with most 2 litre compacts (mine is the European version with 2.0 L engine) but is adequate; petrol consumption is average (28 miles per imperial gallon overall). Reliability has been good so far. Sound system is good. Radio antenna/aerial does not retract automatically - and it is quite difficult to replace. I find the seats comfortable - although I have heard some people complain about them being 'squidgy'. Rear visibility is not very good - but this seems an increasingly common problem (thanks to rear head restraints).

Overall I have enjoyed owning it.

John.

Reply to
Bioboffin

I agree about the turning radius. My 01 Limited's seats are great but they change them now and again so I would try one out to see if they are to your liking. Other than sway bar bushings and the radiator it has been close to perfect.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

My '02 PT brakes on the front have a squeal and the rear brakes grind a bit but if I hold on the brake pedal slightly for about 100 feet and warm up the rotors/drums no squeal,no grind at least untill after it sits for 6 or 8 hours. other than that it has been a wonderful vehicle!!

Reply to
TNKEV

Hiya,

Had an '02 and it was wonderful. Never missed a beat. Got an '05 and it's had:- all door/tailgate locks replaced twice exhaust cat exhaust heat shields engine management ecu firmware flashed twice spark plugs replaced three times spark plug leads rear dampers throttle body throttle position sensor nearside rear light cluster headlining glued back on at the rear new cd player a misfire when the weather's really hot (yes, yes, I know it doesn't happen much in the UK) and a flat spot I could reverse a supertanker thru'

think we got a bad 'un

we're still gonna get a new one tho' 'cos it looks so good and they've put a different bigger engine in it now.We're hoping that the dealer has got their act together now.

pottsy

I only had problems with the speedometer-It had a mind of it's own at 12000 miles-cable was cremped in production, and caused it to go bonkers. Both airbag idiot lights, and an onboard computer where replaced under warranty.

Other than that-85000 miles later-still enjoying mine. next year when paid for-I'm contemplating chrome rims (real ones)...

Candy Apple PT fan-

Reply to
pe2

Try

David

Reply to
tim bur

What is a stage 1 mopar upgrade???

Reply to
Saucer Man

depends what year your car is, goto

duh..

any other ?'s,

Reply to
Punch

PRO'

chea

Con

horrible performanc quite possibly the ugliest car on the market

-- blan

----------------------------------------------------------------------- blank's Profile:

this thread:

blank

Not possibly the ugliest car on the market. Not by a long shot. Seen the Pontiac Aztec? Talk about ugly!

Reply to
do not spam

Hi Frank,

If You "think about it" it`s probably not the right car for You. For me it was love at first sight ...

Reply to
Hans Muecke

So true. The Chrysler 300 and Magnum also made the Click&clack top 10 ugly list.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Yeah, so ugly that over 800,000 have been sold, the performance for a 4 cylinder, 150 hp is about as you would expect, not great but not "horrible". Unless you are looking to drag race at every light. The turbo, on the other hand, has no shortage of power.

If you don't like the retro look, the car will be "ugly". If you do, then it will be fine. I don't know what the "click&clack" thing is, but with the sales figures and the reviews these cars are getting, people obviously disagree about them being "ugly".

SRG

Reply to
SRG

My wife owns a PT Convertible and I used to have a sedan. To me, it was not retro enough? I found out that the roof line was supposed to be straight across, not slanted. That would have been great for me! Of course, now I drive a restored 1940 Chrysler Royal Coupe. I think that they should design a PT Coupe based on the 46-48 Chrysler, one of the best looking Chryslers ever made.

Reply to
<Count Floyd

I love my 2003 PT Cruiser GT. The car is wonderfully engineered and well thought out. Some people love the design, some hate it. I know that all the cute girls at the office wanted a ride in it when we had a lunch outing, so that should say something.

It has 35,000 miles on it and I've had 2 problems:

1) The oil filter housing had to be replaced. I strongly suspect this was damaged by a mechanic at Walmart during an oil change. It was replaced by Chrysler under warranty and has been fine ever since.

2) Air conditioner failed at about 34,000 miles. Replaced under warranty.

I drive the car pretty hard, and it is VERY quick > Thinking about getting one..Any pros or cons to think about

Reply to
robinjoe61

I once felt that way about my 2001 Touring Edition; then, it rolled over the

34k mile mark. First the bumpers discolored on the ends, I'm told that was caused by the adhesive used to hold the protective covering on when shipped from the factory and the dealer would be happy to replace them with new bumpers, at my expense. Next, at about 35K came the smoking control stalk on the left side of the steering wheel, even with the ignition off - good news, covered by warranty. Then, 36.5k the rubber bushings in the rear suspension started squeaking - close your eyes while I drive by and you'd swear you were hearing a clapped-out hillbilly Ford pickup going by. Next, at about 41k, came the thump under acceleration as a lousy rubber motor mount lets the engine move a little too much and I think the front bushings are starting to make noise too - they just aren't loud enough yet to be heard plainly over the rear ones.

Oh, even before 36k miles, there is the regular requirement to pull the rear drums to dump the built up brake shoe dust; if you don't dump it out every

6-8k miles, you get a horrible grinding when the brakes are applied. Dump the dust and all is well - for a while. Of course that is less of a problem now, as the grinding is being drowned out by the squeaking.

I will agree that physically, the car is well thought out - it seems bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. It is amazingly versatile and can handle a fair amount of cargo ( I once hauled a new clothes dryer in it - wow). The stereo is great for a standard factory unit. Initial build quality is better than any Chrysler product I have purchased in the 40 years I've been buying cars; much less warranty work than any previous Mopar.

But, I have learned that they have only learned how to postpone failures until its my expense, not actually build better cars.

I hope for other folks sake that my issues are first-year pains and not par for all new Mopars.

Reply to
L, not -L

Forget the naysayers. I have an '05 high output turbo and love it. Poor turning radius, lamentable gas mileage, yadda, yadda, but a real blast. Should be some good deals available given the not too attractive '06s now on the lots.

Reply to
Tom Spence