PT Cruiser????

I am thinking of buying a PT Cruiser. I have looked at used and new. The used range from 01-05, 15,000-125,000 miles. I have looked at Limited, Touring, ??? I need an automatic. Most used ones I see run about $9,500-9,995, 55,000-99,000 miles, regardless of year. Any suggestions of what I would get the most miles and best service from? Thanks William

Reply to
simjack

The limited will give you the best combination of features, best seats, suspension, sunroof, etc. Any year is good, just avoid the early 2001's built before Aug of 2000 if you want the improved production run with the 4 window switches on the dash. Just pop on good tires and ceramic pads in the front, and make sure oil changes were done and the right transmission fluid was used, and the proper coolant was used, and you are good to go. All and all, a very reliable vehicle with the coolant system the weak link on some early year samples. Bushings for the sway bars also are an issue but are easy to replace.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Follow what Richard said but let me add one more thing. The 2001 model run (late ones with 4 window switches on the dash) have more items as stock than the following years. In particular the Limited Editions. After 2001, Chrysler started removing items to cut expenses. So a 2003 or 2004 Limited has fewer luxuries and mechanical features than a 2001 Limited Edition.

=============

Reply to
CopperTop

Thanks Richard and Copper Top, the info was what I needed. I think I found the right PT. It is a 2003 Limiter, 46,000 miles, Candy Apple Red, certified with warranty. Thank You simjack

Reply to
simjack

The actual name of that color is "Inferno Red". It's a 3 step process with a gold undercoat and was a $250 option on a PT.

==================

Reply to
CopperTop

Make sure you get ALL the keys the owner had. The dealer wants $145 for a single new key for my 2006 PT Cruiser.

Reply to
Steve Stone

The reason they are expensive is that the keys are a part of the theft prevention system. There is a transponder built in to the key, and if the correct key isn't in the iginition, the engine may start, but it will stop in something like 10 seconds.

No amount of hot-wiring will make the car go. The computer must "see" the correct transponder key. Nevertheless, $145 seems ridiculously high.

The important thing is to have at least two dealer programmed keys. Once you have two of them, you can buy blanks on E-Bay for under $15

and program them yourself by following theseinstructions. It sounds complicated, but if you just follow theinstructions, anyone can do it. Add Duplicate Key - Must have two programmed Sentry Keys

  1. Insert one of the two valid keys into the ignition lock and turn to the ON (RUN) position.

  1. After the key has been in the ON position for at least five seconds, but no more than 15 seconds turn the lock back to OFF.

  2. Remove the key and insert the second (already valid) key and turn to the ON position within 15 seconds. (The second key must not be the same as the first key.)

  1. A theft alarm light should illuminate after ten seconds and a single chime sound will indicate entry into the "Customer Programming Mode".

  2. Turn the key to the OFF position within 60 seconds and remove the valid key.

  1. Insert a new key and turn to the ON position.

  2. After approximately ten seconds, a single chime will sound and the theft alarm light will stop. Wait five seconds and turn to the OFF position.

Steve St> Make sure you get ALL the keys the owner had. The dealer wants $145 for a

Reply to
robinjoe61

Yep/\/\/\/\you are right on about the keys. Not all of the PT's have the Sentry keys but most do especially the higher end models. If the head of the key is grey, it has it.

BTW, my wife's friend is selling her PT cruiser limited conv. if anyone know anyone in central Ohio looking for one. It has about 13k miles on it and is a 2005.

Reply to
ponchonutty

If it is a key with the FOB built in that is the same price here.$142.00 plus programming

Reply to
TNKEV

Yep. There are 3 basic keys that the newer DCX vehicles have. One is the basic, black headed key that's nothing special. Another looks like the black headed key but is grey and thicker. The 3rd one has the keyless entry remote built inside it.

Reply to
ponchonutty

The key for my 2006 PT Cruiser has the built in remote entry electronics. That is the $145 key.

The one on the eBay site looks closer to the key used with my 2000 3ooM.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Stone