PT Cruiser air conditioning question

I have read here a few times that one way to deal with smelly air conditioners is to spray antibacterial aerosol into the air conditioning intake.

I would appreciate some pointers as to the location of the air conditioner intake in a 2001 PT Cruiser. (I have the European model if that makes any difference).

Thanks in advance,

John.

Reply to
Bioboffin

Air intake is outside in front of the windshield, the cowl!! If you always have your a/c on recirculate it will tend to have a musty smell, especially if your a smoker Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks for the instant response! I'm not a smoker, and I never use the a/c on recirculate, but the smell has started to appear in the last few months. I guess it is due to bacterial/fungus growth in the system.

Reply to
Bioboffin

I read somewhere that you should always turn the air-conditioning off a few minutes before the end of your journey to avoid this problem, but I have absolutely no idea whether there's any truth in it.

Reply to
Slartibartfast

Yes I read that, too, but it doesn't seem to have worked. On the other hand, every other car I've owned with air conditioning has developed the smell, so I guess it is to be expected eventually.

Reply to
Bioboffin

What they mean is turn your heater on before you shut the engine off, this will remove any moisture in the system and stop bacteria growth. I just find it hard to turn the heater back on in a very hot humid day just after I cooled down with the A/C

Reply to
maxpower

Yeah - turning heat on on a hot day at the end of a drive for the privilege of using the air conditioners is one of those paradoxes of modern life. Another one is sitting for an extra minute at idle after driving your turbocharged vehicle (you paid extra money for turbocharging so you could get there faster, right?). 8^)

Bill Putney

Reply to
mic canic

mic canic wrote: